Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Start Locations
Start Locations
Sep 12 2010, 4:49 am
By: DaSickMarine  

Sep 12 2010, 4:49 am DaSickMarine Post #1



I'm not sure where to put this so I'll just put it in here.
What are Start Locations for StarCraft 2? Are they like for how many players are in a game?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 12 2010, 11:00 am by NudeRaider. Reason: watch your spelling



None.

Sep 12 2010, 6:01 am shmeeps Post #2



Start locations indicate just that, the start location of a player. In a melee map, your command center/nexus/hatchery and scvs/probes/drones will spawn at the start location. For UMS maps, they can serve many purposes.

You can link a players start location to a start location you have placed by going to Map->Player Properties. There can be more Start locations than players, and more players than Start Locations. Though it can assign multiple players to one start location, which could end badly, I believe.



None.

Sep 12 2010, 9:58 am Deev Post #3



If you want to make a start location, for the camera - like where the player will look when he joins the map then you have to use a 0sec camera to that location, else in melee maps they start where you palced their start location/beacons - those are found under points as far as i remember.



None.

Sep 13 2010, 8:45 pm DavidJCobb Post #4



I do believe they're just the same as StarCraft 1's Start Locations: they determine where the camera is initially focused on, and in melee they determine where starting buildings and workers spawn. They're not stored under Units, though; they're under Points.



None.

Sep 14 2010, 1:52 am shmeeps Post #5



I don't think Camera's always default to the player's start location in UMS. I could be wrong though.



None.

Sep 14 2010, 10:20 pm Sand Wraith Post #6



Quote from shmeeps
I don't think Camera's always default to the player's start location in UMS. I could be wrong though.

In UMS, Start Locations are pretty useless except for being an easy reference point for a trigger to initiate camera centering at the beginning of a match.

In melee, the points where players start at are random and camera centering works normally. (GE can be used to edit groups of related Start Locations for team melee maps.)




Sep 15 2010, 2:37 am DaSickMarine Post #7



ahh k ty



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: O)FaRTy1billion[MM], Mr.BurnLiquid