Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Semi-Transparent images
Semi-Transparent images
Sep 30 2007, 3:22 am
By: Matt Burch  

Sep 30 2007, 3:22 am Matt Burch Post #1



I'm using X11, a Linux emulator for MAC!!! to load The Gimp 2.2. I'm trying to make a semi-transparent image. I can't find the correct tool to use, there are so many of them!! It doesn't show up when I'm saving it either. I think I need a .png image to do semi-transparent, right?

Edit: I got it working, thanks guys.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 30 2007, 4:18 am by Matt Burch.



None.

Sep 30 2007, 3:35 am Syphon Post #2



Quote from Matt Burch
I'm using X11, a Linux emulator for MAC!!! to load The Gimp 2.2. I'm trying to make a semi-transparent image. I can't find the correct tool to use, there are so many of them!! It doesn't show up when I'm saving it either. I think I need a .png image to do semi-transparent, right?

Yes.

And it's Mac. And x11 is an X Window system emulator. And this provided minor hilarity as again you made me think of Mac's whole "omg we're creative and fun" campaign while reading it.

Gray and white checkered background saves as transparent.



None.

Sep 30 2007, 3:44 am Matt Burch Post #3



I'm looking for semi transparent. So if you put it as a div in html infront of a picture background, it will show the picture still.



None.

Sep 30 2007, 3:48 am Falkoner Post #4



You put the gray and white checkers in the backround of what you want to show up.



None.

Sep 30 2007, 4:06 am who Post #5



can't you just change the opacity of the semi-transparent layer, then save it in one of the compatible formats?



None.

Sep 30 2007, 4:10 am Matt Burch Post #6



Do I need layers? And how do I change the transparency percentage?

Edit: I'm new to this whole The Gimp application. I've only used the basic tools. I might need a step-by-step for this.

Edit: Okay, thanks the checkered background worked. I just needed to erase it a bit. Thanks.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 30 2007, 4:17 am by Matt Burch.



None.

Sep 30 2007, 2:11 pm JamaL Post #7



If you need any more help with The GIMP, refer to "www.gimptalk.com". They have lots of wonderful tutorials, covering the basics to more advanced concepts.

Of course, if you still need help, you can ask the community again. Myself, I have a lot of experience with The GIMP.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[06:14 am]
NimoStar -- But even if she wasn't, the whole NSDAP stormtrooper wing was gay-led back then
[06:13 am]
NimoStar -- rainbow mafia? That gal is like against gay rights (even if she is a lesbian) for example adoption
[2026-10-03. : 7:42 pm]
Symmetry -- Everybody needs somebody to hate, amirite?
[2026-10-03. : 6:57 pm]
Ultraviolet -- even the rainbow mafia is getting accused of being far right now :lol:
[2026-10-03. : 3:05 am]
Oh_Man -- wtf is happening in germany now... https://youtu.be/_oR2SgGvpzo
[2026-10-02. : 5:07 pm]
Symmetry -- no u
[2026-10-02. : 12:54 am]
lil-Inferno -- u
[2026-10-01. : 2:28 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: NudeRaider non-sequitur harder daddy
no shit sherlock. I wanted you explain what you mean with time capsule (hence the question mark!), because obviously what follows makes no sense. For someone so intelligent you can be quite daft at times...
[2026-10-01. : 4:00 am]
Oh_Man -- NudeRaider
NudeRaider shouted: time capsule? you don't talk to 90s kids outside of SEN?
non-sequitur harder daddy
[2026-10-01. : 2:56 am]
Symmetry -- Talk to people? Like in real life?
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: NudeRaider, jun3hong