Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Spawn, Killer variable, and stacking
Spawn, Killer variable, and stacking
Feb 12 2010, 12:39 am
By: darkeye123  

Feb 12 2010, 12:39 am darkeye123 Post #1



Hey Everyone,

Map making newbie here, so please excuse my simple questions. :D

I'm constructing a hero-based game for play with some friends.

Anyway, I want to spawn some zerglings at each base every 20 or so seconds, and then make them run to a specific area, as if you were moving them in a normal game. These zerglings should attack all enemy units they come across until they reach the area. (I have these zerglings on human playable teams, so that they can be controlled once they arrive at the desired area.)
I have the countdown timer and such set up correctly, but the move action just teleports them there, instead of making them run.

Another question I have is regarding a kind of "killer" variable. What I want to do kind of keep a running tally when one unit kills another, and what that unit's score is. (Scoring a kill against one character would add 1 to the score, dying would set your score to zero.) In addition, I want the player whose unit was killed to "tribute" 100 minerals to the player who killed that unit. (Sorry if this isn't clear, I'm just not really sure how to phrase it.)

One last question: I want to stack a bunch of photon cannons on top of each other in one section. How would I go about placing these cannons on top of each other?

Thanks for your time!



None.

Feb 12 2010, 12:48 am ImagoDeo Post #2



Quote from darkeye123
Hey Everyone,

Map making newbie here, so please excuse my simple questions. :D

I'm constructing a hero-based game for play with some friends.

Anyway, I want to spawn some zerglings at each base every 20 or so seconds, and then make them run to a specific area, as if you were moving them in a normal game. These zerglings should attack all enemy units they come across until they reach the area. (I have these zerglings on human playable teams, so that they can be controlled once they arrive at the desired area.)
I have the countdown timer and such set up correctly, but the move action just teleports them there, instead of making them run.

Another question I have is regarding a kind of "killer" variable. What I want to do kind of keep a running tally when one unit kills another, and what that unit's score is. (Scoring a kill against one character would add 1 to the score, dying would set your score to zero.) In addition, I want the player whose unit was killed to "tribute" 100 minerals to the player who killed that unit. (Sorry if this isn't clear, I'm just not really sure how to phrase it.)

One last question: I want to stack a bunch of photon cannons on top of each other in one section. How would I go about placing these cannons on top of each other?

Thanks for your time!


1. Use the 'Order' action. Use the 'patrol' command instead of 'move' or 'attack'. 'Attack' will accomplish what you want if the zerglings are owned by a player, but if owned by a computer, 'attack' will cause them to ignore most opponents along the way.
2. Death counts can probably help with that. http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Death_Counters
3. Using SCMDraft, you can select a group of units (or buildings) and right-click somewhere to open a menu. Scroll down the menu to 'Stack Selected.' Pressing that button opens a window and you can input a number - if you want five stacked cannons, enter 5.

If you run into any more problems, don't hesitate to ask.



None.

Feb 12 2010, 3:09 am rockz Post #3

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Figuring out who killed what is difficult in starcraft. You'll have to use kills to cash (look it up in the wiki). Except that instead of cash, you use a score, or preferably a death count.

If each player has 1 unit, it's fairly simple. If each player has multiple units, and you want to know that player 1's ghost killed player 2's zergling, and player 1 has a bunch of other units, give up, because if it's possible, it's not feasible.

If you want a trigger like this:

Conditions
Player 1 kills at least 1 zergling owned by player 2
Actions
Subtract 1 kills of zergling for player 1 owned by player 2
Add 1 Score
Subtract 100 minerals from player 2
Add 100 minerals to player 1

Then kills to cash can do this, but the triggers and actions will have to change (as this trigger can't exist, since you can't modify kills, or tell who killed what.) If you type out the trigger you'd like to use, but can't due to the condition/action not existing, I can help you with a workaround. That way I'd know exactly what you're trying to do.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Feb 12 2010, 3:13 am ImagoDeo Post #4



http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Kills_To_Cash&skin=4#"Perfect"_kills_to_cash

Just in case you were wondering what rockz was talking about there.



None.

Feb 12 2010, 3:27 am rockz Post #5

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

It was any of those systems, depending on what he needs.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, MarineElite