Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Finding the best AI Script
Finding the best AI Script
Feb 5 2010, 3:08 am
By: Pinky  

Feb 5 2010, 3:08 am Pinky Post #1



Hey I am trying to find the most intelligent AI Script for an RPG I currently use Junk Yard Dog but I am finding in playtesting that it is too easy to micro them (sometimes they just walk back and forth). Does anyone have any good ideas for making intelligent, challenging roaming monsters? Are there better scripts perhaps?



None.

Feb 5 2010, 5:38 am Falkoner Post #2



Junk Yard Dog, and have a location following your hero that orders any units nearby to attack him. Only problem is getting them to JYD again if he manages to run away, not sure how your map works, so I don't know what would be best for it.

The other option is doing like most Open RPGs do and just have a bunch of waypoints for each area that order the monsters in a loop.



None.

Feb 5 2010, 6:15 am Pinky Post #3



Quote from Falkoner
Junk Yard Dog, and have a location following your hero that orders any units nearby to attack him. Only problem is getting them to JYD again if he manages to run away, not sure how your map works, so I don't know what would be best for it.
Yeah that's what I originally had but yeah they would just stand still after you got away. Hmm I just thought of something, having a death counter counting and making it JYD every time the counter hits X then reseting the counter... I will try that later.

Quote from Falkoner
The other option is doing like most Open RPGs do and just have a bunch of waypoints for each area that order the monsters in a loop.
My terrain isn't open enough for something like that to work I think. Also that would use too many locations.



None.

Feb 5 2010, 6:17 am Falkoner Post #4



Quote
Yeah that's what I originally had but yeah they would just stand still after you got away. Hmm I just thought of something, having a death counter counting and making it JYD every time the counter hits X then reseting the counter... I will try that later.

That could definitely work, just be sure to also include an order to any units inside the hero's location at the same time, so they don't just wander away in mid-attack.



None.

Feb 5 2010, 6:27 am Pinky Post #5



Yeah playtesting revealed that worked fine. I have the attack order for the hero location on preserve so there's no problem with them wandering away in mid-attack.

Sometimes a stray Zergling will just stand still though, not too sure about that.



None.

Feb 5 2010, 7:32 pm samsizzle Post #6



Just make some simple condition and order ai. With actual triggers, Its not that difficult to give them simple intelligence.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Ultraviolet