Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Why do player colors vary by machine?
Why do player colors vary by machine?
Jan 30 2010, 10:16 pm
By: Elward  

Jan 30 2010, 10:16 pm Elward Post #1



I used SCMDraft2 0.8 on my 32-bit Windows XP machine and 64-bit Vista machine. The same map used a Jungle tileset. I used color 47 in each case.

XP: Black smooth on units. Shows as black on minimap and leaderboard.
Vista: What's this garbled lemon-lime color!? Shows as black on minimap and blank on leaderboard.

Is there a stable black color (units and minimap) on a Jungle tileset for all operating systems? If so, what?



None.

Jan 30 2010, 10:24 pm Apos Post #2

I order you to forgive yourself!

For black, I usually use 155. I don't have vista so can't test if it's the same.




Jan 30 2010, 10:25 pm samsizzle Post #3



64 shows up as actual black on the leaderboard on most tilesets. Its what i use. That or 55.



None.

Jan 30 2010, 11:40 pm ImagoDeo Post #4



Despite the awesomeness of extended colors, you have to remember that they're actually a buffer overflow. It's unlikely that they'll crash mac users, but it'll look a lot different for them.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 31 2010, 2:52 am by NudeRaider. Reason: fix'd



None.

Jan 31 2010, 2:00 am Lanthanide Post #5



I'm using 136 for P8 on Ashworld on windows 7 x64, and it shows black in-game and on the minimap, although blank on the leaderboard (not a problem for me, as it is a CPU player anyway).

I got that number out of a thread where someone wanted a black colour, so it is likely to be fairly stable across other tilesets and OS combinations? I can't get the P colour program to work on my computer (haven't tried particularly hard).



None.

Feb 1 2010, 8:23 pm DavidJCobb Post #6



@Lan: I'm using PColor 1.1 on MSWinXPProSP2, and I get a palette that's almost black, save for two colors. One is a light grey, the other a pulsing/glowing slightly-dark red. Speckles appear on most units because of this. 149 is a 90%-perfect black, save for a shade of brown in the palette. Same deal for 160, but red, and the red's in a color that isn't used as often.

That too unstable?



None.

Feb 4 2010, 12:40 am Suicidal Insanity Post #7

I see you !

Since it is a buffer overflow it just uses memory meant for other data. That is why it depends on the OS, OS version, machine architecture, and maybe even which applications were in memory before starcraft was started,




Feb 4 2010, 12:54 am Lanthanide Post #8



Right, I guess it's back to brown for my P8 CPU then. I don't want to use any buffer overflow or memory conditions in my map at all, so that it'll work on any new versions of SC, and on every platform without issues.



None.

Feb 4 2010, 5:16 pm NudeRaider Post #9

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Extended colors don't cause issues other than looking different on different machines. And usually not by much.

Btw. what Samsizzle suggested is really great. I use #64 for all my maps. It's actually a very dark purple (looks black if you have no true black to compare it with) and it's pure in color. So there will be no weird specks or anything. And I've yet to see a tileset/OS not show it as black.




Feb 4 2010, 6:36 pm ImagoDeo Post #10



Quote from NudeRaider
Extended colors don't cause issues other than looking different on different machines. And usually not by much.

Btw. what Samsizzle suggested is really great. I use #64 for all my maps. It's actually a very dark purple (looks black if you have no true black to compare it with) and it's pure in color. So there will be no weird specks or anything. And I've yet to see a tileset/OS not show it as black.

#65 crashed Ciara's mac when she tried to look at it.

Apparently some colors do cause crashes...



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Ultraviolet