Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Lag-time Between Starcraft Switches and Trigs
Lag-time Between Starcraft Switches and Trigs
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jan 23 2010, 3:24 am
By: atto  

Jan 23 2010, 3:24 am atto Post #1



Hey, I'm having a bit of troubles with some triggers and switches in a game im trying to finish up. It's a game similar to many that are out there such as Temple Siege, Hero Sanctuary and Custom Hero Wars.

The triggers are basically the "Spell Casting" triggers you find in any of the above games. Currently, I'm using nearly 100% switches as the conditions of a spell being able to cast, but this is not the problem. When I run my game and test casting spells for the characters, the spells seem to have a large lag time between casts or even the "effects" that I have laid out (science vessel exploding before creation of an attacking unit).

When I first start off with a spell, it has the lag time as I have described, but as I cast it repeatedly, the lag time disappears. On the other hand, if I cast the spell once, then cast a secondary spell for that unit after the cooldown for the first spell, the lag time (switches seem to need to catch up or have a very slow reaction time) seems to still be there.

The only way I can see that my game will be a success is if the spells are somehow pre-cast so that they have no lag time when casted by a user at any point in the game. Is there a possible way to reduce this time? Does anyone understand my problem or know how to fix it?


I have taken a look at the other maps that I have described above (just to take a peek at what they have done instead of what I'm doing) and their triggers are very similar to mine, and work, but mine do not. I am indeed no rookie map maker, I do have hyper triggers involved on this map like every map should, the player with those hypers has no wait triggers, and I have revised the conditions for my spells many times over, but nothing seems to fix any of the issues.

Any suggestions? Questions? Concerns? Complaints? Constraints?

Thanks for any help provided.



None.

Jan 23 2010, 3:35 am ImagoDeo Post #2



All right, first suggestion:

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Death_Counters

Use these instead of switches. Your problems are almost guaranteed to vanish, even though it means redoing all of your triggers.

Other than that, I can't really help. It's possible that you're suffering from Wait Blocks, or perhaps you need to put Hyper Triggers in your map.

If you still have difficulties, post here again and perhaps post the map.

EDIT: Didn't read carefully enough. Sorry.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 23 2010, 3:49 am by ImagoDeo.



None.

Jan 23 2010, 4:03 am atto Post #3



Yes, Thanks very much!
Although I have not switched all my triggers and conditions around yet, I'm very sure that this is the problem. The trigger systems I have running almost all have waiting actions in them for effects and spell casting. I read through both the links you sent me and I should be able to fix this, thanks again!

Now just to recreate my entire game :/



None.

Jan 23 2010, 4:34 am ImagoDeo Post #4



Quote from atto
Yes, Thanks very much!
Although I have not switched all my triggers and conditions around yet, I'm very sure that this is the problem. The trigger systems I have running almost all have waiting actions in them for effects and spell casting. I read through both the links you sent me and I should be able to fix this, thanks again!

Now just to recreate my entire game :/

Lol, don't worry. Glad to be of help.

Take this last bit of advice - if you've gotten this far on switches and waits, you'll do wonderfully on death counts. Don't worry - you obviously have the patience to redo everything.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Zycorax, Symmetry