Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: non-western characters in starcraft
non-western characters in starcraft
Jan 13 2010, 1:19 pm
By: okeee  

Jan 13 2010, 1:19 pm okeee Post #1



For a european version of starcraft, can you properly display non-western characters in text-displays/mission briefings/map description?



None.

Jan 13 2010, 4:46 pm NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I know for a fact that you can't read chinese/japanese/russian symbols. There's other, more common characters like é · and ¥ that display fine.

I'm not sure what chars you're talking about but you can post a map containing all of them (on 1 screen if possible) and I can show you a screeny of my (German/English) version.




Jan 13 2010, 5:21 pm okeee Post #3



Yes I meant chinese/japanese characters. So to display them, you would have to get the chinese/japanese version of starcraft? If it would be possible, I'd like to write those characters for ums maps. But could you use them in scmdraft as well?



None.

Jan 13 2010, 5:28 pm CecilSunkure Post #4



Very doubtful.. But of course, you could try it really fast with scmdraft and see what happens.



None.

Jan 13 2010, 5:54 pm okeee Post #5



Well that's the problem.. a european version of starcraft probably doesn't display it even if it could be used in scmdraft.



None.

Jan 13 2010, 7:33 pm rockz Post #6

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I'm not sure how SCMDraft handles strings like that, I presume just like any other string, which means it's written in unicode, since it's very possible to read korean maps, but your local settings must be in korean, so it can decipher the mojibake you normally see in an english version. It could be possible that all you need do is change your language to view the mojibake as hanja, kanji, or hanzi. Try it out, and get back to us.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 14 2010, 10:02 am okeee Post #7



I changed the settings (standard input language) but it didn't work, scmdraft and starcraft don't display the characters (win xp). Has anyone managed to display characters properly?



None.

Mar 14 2010, 6:30 pm Apos Post #8

I order you to forgive yourself!

According to what I remember, you need to change your location to korea to display korean characters.




Mar 14 2010, 8:55 pm okeee Post #9



No, didnt work either.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: NudeRaider