Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: DDS and Computers
DDS and Computers
Jan 12 2010, 9:07 am
By: Kimaru  

Jan 12 2010, 9:07 am Kimaru Post #1



Hi, I'm making a map that requires 4 humans and 4 computers (for JYD). The map revolves around scarabs. When I found DDS, I realized it was much better than just placing 100 reavers, however, when I tried the DDS, it worked, but the computer shoots scarabs at about 1 per second, which is way too slow. Humans shoot about 3 scarabs per second. Why are the computers shooting so slowly? The triggers are the same for both.



None.

Jan 12 2010, 11:00 am JaFF Post #2



I don't know about such restrictions if we're talking about just one reaver shooting scarabs. Remember that a reaver will not shoot a scarab until his old one dies. If that's not the case and you're talking about the actual system, then I must say that the Wiki on it is terribly out of date and needs to be fully re-written. So if you made the system as described in the article, you may get inconsistent behavior like that. If, however, you used the system I posted in one of the latest topics about DDS in the UMS Theory and Ideas forum, then you'll have to seek for some help - either you did/understood it wrong or you found a way to break the system.



None.

Jan 13 2010, 12:16 am Kimaru Post #3



I'm attaching your HUMAN_DDS map, except I changed the triggers and made it so it's a computer player who is running the triggers. In your original HUMAN_DDS, human scarabs shoot the scarabs rapidly. Look at the scarab rate in this version.

Attachments:
human dds1.scm
Hits: 2 Size: 45.78kb



None.

Jan 13 2010, 12:41 am JaFF Post #4



I looked over it and couldn't find a problem. Either I'm blind, or you've created a case we haven't recorded. It takes a while for the reavers to acquire the target...



None.

Jan 13 2010, 1:11 am Kimaru Post #5



Quote from JaFF
It takes a while for the reavers to acquire the target...

It happens very rapidly for humans (via triggers). (in the original HUMAN_DDS)

I would use human reavers, except I need the AI script JYD. Unless there is a way for humans to execute a similar script, I need computer reavers to be attacking at the same speed as human reavers.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 13 2010, 3:24 am by Kimaru.



None.

Jan 13 2010, 4:18 am Neki Post #6



Maybe it's related to the targeting AI of the computer, the computer might just target an enemy slower than a human does, leading to a slower speed? Only thing I can think of.



None.

Jan 13 2010, 9:04 am JaFF Post #7



Try making an entirely tew test map based on the mechanics in the human dds map. Don't copy the map, though - change computer players around, play around with the units the reavers attack, change some triggers.



None.

Jan 14 2010, 12:43 am Kimaru Post #8



I fixed the map completely and the reavers work now. I think that reavers are more comfortable attacking to a target below them, rather than to the right or left of them. (I got this from Tuxedo-Templar's dds maps)



None.

Jan 14 2010, 12:50 am JaFF Post #9



Quote
I think that reavers are more comfortable attacking to a target below them, rather than to the right or left of them.
Interesting. Could you post the map please?

Tux made a DDS map? Link please.



None.

Jan 14 2010, 2:01 am Kimaru Post #10



Quote from JaFF
Quote
I think that reavers are more comfortable attacking to a target below them, rather than to the right or left of them.
Interesting. Could you post the map please?

Tux made a DDS map? Link please.

http://www.staredit.net/topic/8240/3/



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Zycorax, Symmetry