Creep Control
Jan 6 2010, 12:10 am
By: sharf  

Jan 6 2010, 12:10 am sharf Post #1



Ok, so I want to prevent creep to expand to certain areas...now obviously there is the choice to just put unbuildable terrain, but the point of preventing the creep is so you can build in that spot. I'm wondering if there is an option more along the lines of a terrain tile or building blocking creep from expanding past it. I only have 2 tiles gap to work with...I don't have anymore ideas.

thanks, sharf



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:14 am Positively Post #2



There's no way buildings can stop spreading creep unless you have it placed prematurely... and the creep will just skip the tiles where the buildings are and move on, unless the building's are massively stacked but when the buildings are removed or destroyed, the creep will enroach onto it.

I think null terrain can stop creep from spreading no? Or water terrain.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:16 am Biophysicist Post #3



You can remove Creep by creating an Extractor, killing it (via trigger), then killing the geyser.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:23 am sharf Post #4



not sure any of those will work...I'll test more...cause this is for a defense style map, so people who don't use sunkens, need to be able to build in their area...



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:29 am Positively Post #5



Uhm... if all players are clumped together... then why not make a certain place for Zerg defenders, Protoss and Terrans? Like with Spawn D. Cause I don't believe there is a way to actually control the creep to meld it to your liking.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:54 am sharf Post #6



I don't think there is that's the problem...and due to the layout of the map (may have to change it :<_<:) which ever player is below the zerg players get shafted...null does not stop it...


Water does lol.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:57 am Biophysicist Post #7



What's wrong with the Extractor method?



None.

Jan 6 2010, 12:59 am sharf Post #8



because players will be building (adding creep) and building like pylons, which extractors could get in the way of..unless that method makes the ground permenenatly un creepable



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:02 am Positively Post #9



I honestly think the extractor method TZ has explained would work pretty good. Just use like mobile grids or something around Colonies to nerf the creep expansion. That way... Protoss and Terran players would be able to build around Zerg based buildings.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:05 am sharf Post #10



well...there are lanes, like path D, so I just need to keep creep in it's own lane.



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:14 am Positively Post #11



I think ruins terrain stops spreading creep... wait just tried it. Yeah it stops creep. So you could possibly use that for your lanes..... Just separate the lanes with creep colonies? Like..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <-- Terran?
<-- Ruins Terrain?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <-- Creep colonies?
<-- Ruins Terrain?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <-- Protoss?

I think that MIGHT work



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:36 am sharf Post #12



well then you can walk between lanes..nice idea though



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:41 am xYoshix Post #13



Use any unbuildable terrain (i.e. rocky dirt, temple) and make a border of it around the place you want to be buildable?

NVM... It doesn't seem like your situation. Can you make a diagram or something?



None.

Jan 6 2010, 1:52 am sharf Post #14



ok...I'll try

* = divider (must be unwalkable)
O = Creep Colony
X = Where I want Creep
+ = Buildable Terrain(lanes)
************************
*+++++XXXX+++++*
*+++XXXOXXX++++*
************************
*++++++++++++++*
*++++++++++++++*
************************

Hope this helps?



None.

Jan 6 2010, 2:00 am Positively Post #15



Quote from sharf
ok...I'll try

* = divider (must be unwalkable)
O = Creep Colony
X = Where I want Creep
+ = Buildable Terrain(lanes)
************************
*+++++XXXX+++++*
*+++XXXOXXX++++*
************************
*++++++++++++++*
*++++++++++++++*
************************

Hope this helps?

If your using Jungle I think that...

* = divider (must be unwalkable) - Simple Terrain or Cliffs. Unwalkable and creep cannot spread above that point.
O = Creep Colony
X = Where I want Creep
+ = Buildable Terrain(lanes)
************************
*+++++|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|XXXX |See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|+++++*
*+++|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|XXXOXXX|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|++++*
************************
*|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|++++++++++++++|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|*
*|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|++++++++++++++|See here? You could just add a little ruins then continue on with a buildable terrain|*
************************

Not really sure if that's what your looking for.. I can try and make a quick picture if you need a visual aid. XD I realize that this may be confusing to follow...



None.

Jan 6 2010, 2:02 am sharf Post #16



The problem with cliff tiles is when I tried that, the creep spread past it, to the other side -_- it also spreads over Null...and with water all around the edges, you can't build creeps on the lowest tile....due to the water's edge...so looks like I'm redoing my layout



None.

Jan 6 2010, 2:09 am Positively Post #17



Ohh XD. Well good luck ;).



None.

Jan 6 2010, 3:14 am xYoshix Post #18



The tiles have to be more than 2 tiles thick or else the creep will just pass through.



None.

Jan 7 2010, 2:06 pm poison_us Post #19

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

If the creep colonies are preplaced, just enable "place buildings anywhere" and put unbuildable terrain underneath the creep :ermm:

If not, any unbuildable terrain (such as water, ruins, cliffs, walls, etc) will stop creep. For it to definitely stop it, yes, two tiles are needed.





Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Zycorax, Symmetry