Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: How do you make maps work at a faster speed?
How do you make maps work at a faster speed?
Dec 29 2009, 5:45 am
By: kdi  

Dec 29 2009, 5:45 am kdi Post #1



Some maps run at a much faster speed than normal, for example "Future Survival" and "Desert Strike Ultima Platinum 2x".
The units move faster, everything happens faster.
The briefing even seems to scroll faster.

How do you make the speed of a map faster like in these maps?
Thanks yo.



None.

Dec 29 2009, 5:47 am Marine Post #2



you can place a scarab for player 15 before any other unit. However, a side effect is that you must manual attack, it's not auto.



None.

Dec 29 2009, 6:51 am Cinolt Post #3



For the briefing you decrease the amount of time the text displays



None.

Dec 29 2009, 4:29 pm SierraKomodo Post #4



Quote from Marine
you can place a scarab for player 15 before any other unit. However, a side effect is that you must manual attack, it's not auto.

Eh.. What exactly does that mean? I can't see the connection between that and a faster map >.>
That'd something I've wanted to experiment with myself, btw.




None.

Dec 29 2009, 4:32 pm Super Duper Post #5



I remember you had to place a nuke for a certain player, but the downside would be the unit portraits wouldnt work.



None.

Dec 29 2009, 5:02 pm Cinolt Post #6



Quote from SierraKomodo
Quote from Marine
you can place a scarab for player 15 before any other unit. However, a side effect is that you must manual attack, it's not auto.

Eh.. What exactly does that mean? I can't see the connection between that and a faster map >.>
That'd something I've wanted to experiment with myself, btw.

It's a glitch. I have no idea why it works, but it does.

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Increasing_Map_Speed_%281.15%29



None.

Dec 29 2009, 7:34 pm Dabbu Post #7



Using players over 12 makes the game alter places in memory that have other functions.

In this case placing a specific unit for player 15 (first unit of the map) changes the speed of units created after it.
There were many other such tricks, like being able to "Freeze" units at the start of the game. They would never change frame or move, but could still be interacted with to some limited degree.
Back in the day I played around with that, I had a cool screen shot but I cant find it :(



None.

Dec 29 2009, 7:54 pm Ahli Post #8

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Dabbu
Using players over 12 makes the game alter places in memory that have other functions.

In this case placing a specific unit for player 15 (first unit of the map) changes the speed of units created after it.
There were many other such tricks, like being able to "Freeze" units at the start of the game. They would never change frame or move, but could still be interacted with to some limited degree.
Back in the day I played around with that, I had a cool screen shot but I cant find it :(
That happens to all units that are placed before the p15 scarab.

edit:
I meant the effects: freeze + no animation playing, selectable below fog, no vision giving, supply using units...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 29 2009, 8:01 pm by Ahli.




Dec 29 2009, 7:56 pm Marine Post #9



lol imagine a game with a marine on one side of a map placed before the p15 scarab, then a zergling after. It'd be like that show from family guy, "Slow kid, fast animal" lol :lol:



None.

Dec 29 2009, 8:19 pm Urahara Post #10



Quote from Marine
lol imagine a game with a marine on one side of a map placed before the p15 scarab, then a zergling after. It'd be like that show from family guy, "Slow kid, fast animal" lol :lol:
Lmao, It would
But yeah just place the p15 scarab and then ur other units and you'll have cracklings >:D



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob, DarkenedFantasies