Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Always Straight Interceptor Movement
Always Straight Interceptor Movement
Dec 24 2009, 5:27 pm
By: Cinolt  

Dec 24 2009, 5:27 pm Cinolt Post #1



Basically what I want is an interceptor storage system that allows me to move one of the stored interceptors to a spot on the arena and order it to another spot. However, the movement of the interceptor sometimes curves at the beginning of its movement, and it's essential in my map that it doesn't curve. The interceptor in the map should be able to go in any direction without curving.

I tried a lot of things and pretty much gave up on it, but it would be great if someone knew a solution.

Attachments:
interceptor.scx
Hits: 5 Size: 52.1kb



None.

Dec 24 2009, 6:24 pm JaFF Post #2



I don't have much time to check, but I assume that when you move interceptors with triggers, they keep their roration angle. Use this to your advantage: if you know the direction they need to fire in, fire them in that direction in a small remote arena first, then move them to the main arena. This introduces a time delay, of course. If delay is not acceptable, you can hold interceptors for different angles with some set increment to reduce their curvature. At some point, doing that becomes impractical and that is where my ideas end.

If interceptors do not keep their angle when moved, I see no solutions with interceptors at all. Use scourges or grids.



None.

Dec 24 2009, 6:35 pm Sacrieur Post #3

Still Napping

Quote from JaFF
I don't have much time to check, but I assume that when you move interceptors with triggers, they keep their roration angle. Use this to your advantage: if you know the direction they need to fire in, fire them in that direction in a small remote arena first, then move them to the main arena. This introduces a time delay, of course. If delay is not acceptable, you can hold interceptors for different angles with some set increment to reduce their curvature. At some point, doing that becomes impractical and that is where my ideas end.

If interceptors do not keep their angle when moved, I see no solutions with interceptors at all. Use scourges or grids.

Exactly what I was thinking, however, when I played the map only the first interceptor would turn and the rest would follow in a straight line. My best solution is to just to remove that first one.



None.

Dec 24 2009, 7:23 pm Cinolt Post #4



The map only has one interceptor the entire time.

What's strange is that, the interceptor's direction is up in the storage. Yet when you tell the map to place it on the arena and order it up, the first time around it shakes a little bit. I really have no idea why this is so, if you played the map and know basically what the triggers do you can understand the problem better.



None.

Dec 25 2009, 12:46 am poison_us Post #5

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

If you constantly move the interceptor, I don't think it will influence the angle. I haven't checked out the map, but it sounds like he ordered the interceptor into the storage, then kept it there with AI scripting...so rather than using the AI scripting, make it stay in the storage with a constant "move" command.

I've used this before, and rather than actually ordering the interceptor [which is essentially what the AI script is doing], the interceptor should just be there, with no previous ordering.





Dec 25 2009, 1:46 am Cinolt Post #6



That was one of my first attempts, it was constantly Moved in there with no AI Scripts running on it in the storage, and it still shook a bit the first time around in the arena.



None.

Dec 25 2009, 2:20 am poison_us Post #7

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

In that case...make a small section to have it travel in its final path [you want it to move right, so have a small area where it can move horizontally], then move it to the area. That's the only "perfect" solution I can think of...




Dec 25 2009, 3:07 am Cinolt Post #8



If you mean the interceptor moving in the same direction in the storage as in the arena, it doesn't work. It produces the same shaking annoyance.



None.

Dec 25 2009, 6:28 am poison_us Post #9

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

Then i don't think there's a method that works...other then constantly moving it to wherever you want it to appear as you use the AI script to make it try to move...then after say 10 death counts, disabling the move command.

That's seriously my final idea. Sorry if that doesn't work :ermm:





Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob, DarkenedFantasies