Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Display Text Message
Display Text Message
Dec 8 2009, 9:56 am
By: Pinky  

Dec 8 2009, 9:56 am Pinky Post #1



Hey guys I have three players in a force and I have a trigger that goes something like this:
PLAYERS
Force 1
CON
Whatever
ACT
Display Text Message

However (i have a laptop hooked up so I can watch both screens) only one player (P1) gets the text message the other player doesn't. I have no idea why this is occurring would anyone be able to shed some light on the subject?



None.

Dec 8 2009, 10:08 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Obviously the actions of P1's trigger make the conditions false for P2. Keep in mind that triggers do not run simultaneously but are checked player by player and one after another.
Imagine these 2 triggers:

P1
Con: Switch 1 is set
Action: Display text & clear Switch 1

P2
Con: Switch 1 is set
Action: Display text & clear Switch 1

P2 can never run the trigger because the above trigger makes sure P2 will never have his condition true unless P1 leaves the game.




Dec 8 2009, 10:09 am Pinky Post #3



EDITION: Further testing revealed that the very first DTM works fine but then all ones after that don't.

Believe I have the problem discovered: I am using DCs to time my DTMs, right now they are like this
CON
Whatever
ACT
Modify DC
DTM

I think when it modifies the DC for P1 it then skips the others players.

Solution: I am going to move all my DTMs above my DCs and give it another go and see what happens, I'll report back shortly sorry for wasting time here.

EDIT:
Oh I see you already posted.

Oh I see my solution won't work, crap how am I gonna fix this.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 8 2009, 12:53 pm by Pinky.



None.

Dec 8 2009, 10:17 am NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The standard solution for this kind of problem (global event triggers current player actions) is to set a death counter (dc) for the players that should get the message and let them reset their dc when they run their trigger:

All Players
Con: Switch 1 is set
Action: Clear Switch 1 & Set dc to 1 for [Player Force]

[Player Force]
Con: Current Player has 1 dc
Actions: Display text & set dc to 0 for Current Player




Dec 8 2009, 1:30 pm Pinky Post #5



I have found a solution which lets me keep my triggers in the Force 1 category, I don't have to bloody have triggers everywhere in all the Players.

Basically I have just split up my DC changes to a separate number of DCs and have the DTMs in their own as well. The best thing about it is that it was only a slight alteration to my previous trigger set-up, thank GOD. I feared I would have to go back through all my DTMs and set it up with a new system.

Anyway thanks for the help man, if something wacky pops up I'll post here but for now I'm just going to continue altering all my DTM triggers and continue testing with my laptop to make sure it's all working correctly.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 8 2009, 2:10 pm by Pinky.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: O)FaRTy1billion[MM], Symmetry