Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Invisible Bunkers on Fire
Invisible Bunkers on Fire
Nov 28 2009, 1:03 am
By: Kenshin23  

Nov 28 2009, 1:03 am Kenshin23 Post #1



This is what I'm lookin for. I know how to do this but wondering what other methods I could use. Basically, I have a Geomancer class in my RPG and his spells react to his environment. What I've done is preplaced a bunch of bunkers around the map but I want them all to be invisible and on fire, however, by doing this the player must have some sort of temporary vision of the bunkers so they may turn invisible. Being an RPG I would rather not have a bunch of spots on the map with fog that the players have not yet been to.

Know what I mean? :D

All I'm getting now is 1 bunker goes invisible and on fire and the others dont do nothing. Call me dumb but this is gettin me a tad frustrated and is slowing progress on the map as a whole.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 1:04 am DeathKiller2 Post #2



im guessing but cant you put it where the player can see it (maybe where he starts) then have the bunker moved when they are invisible?
this probably wont work but try it?



None.

Nov 28 2009, 2:19 am Neki Post #3



You could only give them vision when they're near the bunker. Once they get close, create a detector and blow it up over the bunker and it'll turn invisible. Besides that, there is no other compromise that I can think of that wouldn't ruin your fog of war.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 2:28 am ImagoDeo Post #4



Why not just remove it, Ultimo?

Kenshin, I'd suggest the same thing. Make it so that the bunker is revealed with a detector slightly before the player actually sees it. The problem with this is that it requires as many locations and as many triggers as you have bunkers. That's potentially problematic; the triggers are simple copy and change, but if you don't have enough remaining locations, or if you have too many bunkers, there could be difficulties.

One more thing that I would suggest - try varying it a bit. Use Barracks, photon cannons, science facilities, etc. as well as bunkers. And vary the health setting. Different size and shape of flames will help make your map just that much prettier.

EDIT: Science facilities won't work. Just re-read the wiki to make sure, and found it out. Barracks, Engineering Bays, Supply Depots and Nuclear Silos work, though, so you can use those for flames if you want to.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 28 2009, 2:34 am by ImagoDeo.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 2:44 am Apos Post #5

I order you to forgive yourself!

I made a simple map that could help to do it.
You can ask if some triggers are unclear, it uses the observer, but moves it to a location away right after they reveal the bunker.

Attachments:
Bunker temporary visible.scx
Hits: 2 Size: 39.66kb




Nov 28 2009, 2:51 am Cinolt Post #6



Quote from ImagoDeo
The problem with this is that it requires as many locations and as many triggers as you have bunkers. That's potentially problematic; the triggers are simple copy and change, but if you don't have enough remaining locations, or if you have too many bunkers, there could be difficulties.

Not if there is only one unit, the main hero in this case, that the player gets vision from. Then it'd only need 1-2 locations, depending on how you do it. If the unit has spells that increase it's vision temporarily, specifically units that spawn, then reliably you'd need a location per bunker.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 2:58 am ImagoDeo Post #7



No - I believe you have to have one location for every single bunker or building that you disable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I am, it would be a simple matter to center one large location on the hero. If a bunker is in that location, center a different location on the bunker and disable it, then create and remove an observer.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 3:07 am Cinolt Post #8



Quote from ImagoDeo
If I am, it would be a simple matter to center one large location on the hero. If a bunker is in that location, center a different location on the bunker and disable it, then create and remove an observer.

That's what I was thinking, and you'd have to check for bunkers around that observer too. Maybe you could just re-use the large location to be more location conservative and you'd only need one location. Also just to note this method may require two non-human players for the bunkers, giving the bunker to the other player when disabled, depending on how close the bunkers are.



None.

Nov 28 2009, 3:39 am Neki Post #9



Well I was just assuming you could just put a large location over the hero and when he gets near it, you can fire the trigger. You'd need a location for every single hero though. The other way is to just simply cycle one large location over each bunker and then create the detector when any hero hits the location, this way would probably be more efficient and it'd only take a couple of triggers. You don't need computer players for this, use players 9-12.

Edit: I like killing the detector because it gives an explosion and a nice effect. =)




None.

Nov 28 2009, 7:55 am Kenshin23 Post #10



Ok, I appreciate all the replies to my question. I think I have found out what I plan to do and it involves these suggestions. Basically when a player gets close to the bunker what I'll do is create the observers then at their respective locations. Each class has a fair sized location that follows them which also is used for spells etc... An idea i just thought of is why not give the bunkers to another computer after they become invisible, that way I can use at most 2 locations



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[04:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: O)FaRTy1billion[MM], Symmetry