Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Help with Unit Sprites/stacking
Help with Unit Sprites/stacking
Aug 20 2009, 9:03 pm
By: MadZombie  

Aug 20 2009, 9:03 pm MadZombie Post #1



Hello everyone. I need help trying to recreate an effect made by Loveless in his "Zombie Arcade" map. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about... well basically you own a unit that has 0 attack and (in the map) you get power ups, which are all weapons of some sort. The randomized power ups vary from machine guns (marines) to Flame throwers (fire bats). The weapon is 'equipped' by having marines (the machine gun for example) stacked on top of your 0 damaging unit so that the marines are your real weapon firing.

I kinda get how its done but I could really use a 'step-by-step'.

In scmdraft you set the sprites in a corner to be your "stock" to use. Your supposed to move them into an area where they are enabled (I think?) and then all enabled sprites are then ordered onto one spot (1x1 tile I guess) them from their constantly moved to your unit you want the marine/sprites to be stacked upon every time the original non sprite unit moves out of a small (inverted?) location.

Yes no? I've been testing some stuff out but none of them get close.

Edit: sorry about the title. I'm honestly not even sure what the name for this is exactly.

Attachments:
Zombie Arcade 0.1.scx
Hits: 6 Size: 162.29kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 20 2009, 10:57 pm by MadZombie.



None.

Aug 20 2009, 11:02 pm rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I've never done this, nor have I tried. However from my understanding it's like placing burrowed units under a unit which doesn't attack. If the unit moves, the burrowed unit move under him. If the unit doesn't move, they just sit there.

Start out small. What have you been testing?

There's only a few components:
Stacking the unit sprites (they are more units than they are sprites, which is why I clarified the title, unit sprites is a confusing name anyway).
Equipping/changing the weapon.
Ordering the unit to move to the player's location when it has moved.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 21 2009, 3:12 am New-Guy Post #3



Actually, you need StarForge to do something like this.
Look at what you need to do here



None.

Aug 21 2009, 3:33 am Falkoner Post #4



You place a disabled sprite, and the minimum requirements are that you enable it, and send it an order out of view, I'm not certain what other actions you can perform within that, but those are the minimum requirements to get a stacked unit. You could also cloak them later with disable enable enable if that would add to your effect.



None.

Aug 21 2009, 4:32 am MadZombie Post #5



Quote from Falkoner
You place a disabled sprite, and the minimum requirements are that you enable it, and send it an order out of view, I'm not certain what other actions you can perform within that, but those are the minimum requirements to get a stacked unit. You could also cloak them later with disable enable enable if that would add to your effect.
It would add a nice touch, Now that I'm getting into this kind of stuff I love to over complicate thing just for 'the effect'

And no, you don't need Starforge for something like this. I finally got the units to stack the way I want them to except I ran into another problem because Loveless used inverted locations (I'm sure) and I didn't in my system. Inverted locations look like a breeze so its not really a problem. Thanks though Falkoner, I forgot to make my sprites disabled first. Your site told me about that but it says that you NEED Starforge. I think thats a bit outdated :l



None.

Aug 21 2009, 4:35 am Falkoner Post #6



Quote
Your site told me about that but it says that you NEED Starforge. I think thats a bit outdated :l

Meh, I still prefer to use SF to place them initially, then I copy and paste those into my map, I guess I should change it.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[04:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[04:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[04:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[04:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
[2026-9-27. : 1:14 am]
Symmetry -- https://staredit.net/topic/18932/ check it
[2026-9-25. : 2:22 pm]
Oh_Man -- https://youtu.be/Lfo4C0xzU04
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: WeirdoX4857, Sie_Sayoka, UndeadStar