Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Map Revealer Question
Map Revealer Question
Jul 12 2009, 8:51 am
By: Hypocrite.  

Jul 12 2009, 8:51 am Hypocrite. Post #1



I was just wondering, is it possible to remove map revealers at specific locations? I've tried, but it won't seem to work.



None.

Jul 12 2009, 9:27 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

nope. You can only remove all map revealers of a player.

You'll need to work with actual units if you want to remove them specifically.
For example constantly create an observer for that player and instantly remove it. It won't show in game, but it will generate vision.




Jul 12 2009, 9:39 am Hypocrite. Post #3



How can I make it so that vision is only given to 1 or 2 specific units for each player, but nothing else owned by the player, I've tried things, but I always get either a blinking light issue or a slowed unit issue. Could I possibly mod map revealers?



None.

Jul 12 2009, 9:46 am NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

That's not possible, but there's a workaround:

Turn vision OFF to the player himself and give him vision to another (computer) player. This player must only own units in the spots you want the respective players to have vision to.




Jul 12 2009, 9:52 am Hypocrite. Post #5



I tried pretty much that, and I don't want to make a separate computer player for each player. I can kind of get it to work, but the lights randomly flash if two players are moving if I use map revealed, and when I use units if two players are too close they will slow down the units.



None.

Jul 12 2009, 10:10 am Hypocrite. Post #6



I WAS ABLE TO FIX IT! Thanks for the help anyway.



None.

Jul 12 2009, 10:14 am NudeRaider Post #7

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Remember that you can also use P9-12. They would be ideal for that purpose.

If you create/remove the unit every 3rd trigger loop the slowdown should be minimal. However there's still a small window for vision flash.
I remember a discussion with rockz about vision updating. If memory serves we concluded that the vision updates in fixed intervals after map start, so if you find that interval you can time your create/remove to the vision update so you only have to do it every 4s or so.

Also imaginable would be a clever grid system that keeps the vision giving unit away from the main unit(s). Combine it with a movement detection (center a 1x1 pixel location on the unit and check when it leaves) so you don't have to grid all the time which would also cause a slowdown.

EDIT:
OK, you got it, that's cool. But could you please tell us what was the problem / how you fixed it (for other people with similar problems)? Thanks




Jul 12 2009, 6:01 pm Pyro682 Post #8



I do not usually deal with Vision when "Moving" map revealers.
I just remove all, and then create new ones at selected points on the map.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[01:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[04:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[03:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[03:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
[2026-9-27. : 1:14 am]
Symmetry -- https://staredit.net/topic/18932/ check it
[2026-9-25. : 2:22 pm]
Oh_Man -- https://youtu.be/Lfo4C0xzU04
[2026-9-25. : 12:00 am]
Oh_Man -- he hasnt won a single game so far this is hilarious
[2026-9-24. : 11:41 pm]
Oh_Man -- new arty username Rage Against The Machine
[2026-9-24. : 10:14 pm]
Oh_Man -- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXri8q9ZBs artys vsing the bot now
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: @:@