Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Creating effects without the unit
Creating effects without the unit
Apr 7 2009, 8:32 pm
By: Queen-Gambit  

Apr 7 2009, 8:32 pm Queen-Gambit Post #1



Is there a way to create emp, stasis, plague, etc without having the specific unit present? For example, after 10 game secs I want a certain area filled with swarm. I do not want to use doodad effect because that effect will stay in the map the entire time.



None.

Apr 7 2009, 8:34 pm Biophysicist Post #2



You can do this with Dweb (preplace Dweb unit and move it), Recall (preplace Arbiter and use AI script), and Irradiate (preplace organic unit and an enemy vessel, then move the organic unit). Otherwise, no.



None.

Apr 7 2009, 11:15 pm Queen-Gambit Post #3



To continue the discussion, I am trying to make a defiler cast a swarm using triggers. I have not been sucessful. Here is a snapshot of my triggers:



As you can see, i just have a defiler spawn and then I create a dark swarm near it. SEN says that I need to set the swarm to player 12 (neutral). I need a better understanding on how to work this out

EDIT: theres hyper triggers (don't worry, i didn't forget the preserve trig lol). I've also tinkered around with the Unit Setting of the Race and Owner of player 12. I've changed the players around as well. Still not sucessful



None.

Apr 7 2009, 11:19 pm Biophysicist Post #4



You can't create Dark Swarms like that. ANY unit which can't be placed in StarEdit can't be created with triggers.

Quote
SEN says that I need to set the swarm to player 12 (neutral).
What whoever told you that meant was that Dswarms don't have any effect if they don't belong to P12.

I believe you can encourage a Defiler to cast Dark Swarm by having a nearby unit allied to the player who owns the defiler be attacked, but it's not 100% reliable afaik.



None.

Apr 7 2009, 11:35 pm rockz Post #5

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You can't move dark swarms, nor can you create them. Why do you want ranged units to not work under the area for 10 seconds?

Quote from wiki
A computer player will cast Dark Swarm if its melee units are attacked by ranged units.
The defiler won't always use it, though. Additional units in combat will encourage it to use Dark Swarm.

Emp, just set energy/shields to 0.

Plague is difficult, but possible to coax a defiler into shooting.
Quote from wiki
And idle defiler will use plague nearby enemies units or buildings. Groups of enemy units make the computer more likely to use plague.
Attacking a defiler will sometimes cause it to use plague, particularly if it is near death.

Irradiate is easy, just attack the science vessel. This can essentially be like plague, since it works nearly the same, but only on organic.

Stasis is predictable. Have any unit attack the arbiter.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[04:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[03:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[03:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[02:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
[2026-9-25. : 2:22 pm]
Oh_Man -- https://youtu.be/Lfo4C0xzU04
[2026-9-25. : 12:00 am]
Oh_Man -- he hasnt won a single game so far this is hilarious
[2026-9-24. : 11:41 pm]
Oh_Man -- new arty username Rage Against The Machine
[2026-9-24. : 10:14 pm]
Oh_Man -- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXri8q9ZBs artys vsing the bot now
[2026-9-24. : 8:12 pm]
Ultraviolet -- do you even lift bro?
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry