Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Changing Player Colors in a CHK (.SCX) File Help
Changing Player Colors in a CHK (.SCX) File Help
Apr 26 2017, 11:19 pm
By: Pauper  

Apr 26 2017, 11:19 pm Pauper Post #1



Hi,

I found out that you can hex edit the .CHK files in the map MPQ. I have changed the player colors from their defaults to 08 - 15. These changes don't take effect in the map editor from what I can tell. I am at work right now and cannot really test.

Will the player colors be different in the game?

Thank you,
Bitz

EDIT: I know editing this file works because I was able to resize the map from 128 x 128 to 64 x 64 (say the minimap size change but the map crashed because it had tile data I didn't edit).



Alias: Oo.Pauper.oO - Mp)Madness - Bitz - p00pyjoel

Apr 27 2017, 12:55 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #2

👻 👾 👽 💪

Yes. That's how scmdraft does it.



TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Apr 27 2017, 1:50 am Pauper Post #3



Okay thank you.

Now, after playing around with it a bit I wasn't able to get it working. The editor would open, colors would be the usual but the game was marked as invalid or corrupt in Starcraft but not the editor..

Does staredit sign the scenario file when it's saved? Does Starcraft check that signature to verify the file hasn't been tampered with?

I ask because if that's the case I don't think I'd be able to do it because my editor doesn't read the player colors according to the map itself but the editor defaults...

Any thoughts on that?

EDIT: Also I know that StarEdit settings have priority over a modified scenario file because if you open the file and re save it the player settings are restored.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 27 2017, 2:00 am by Pauper.




Apr 28 2017, 9:08 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #4

👻 👾 👽 💪

Colors are not read by StarEdit, and it will always overwrite that section.

I just had the same problem of StarEdit marking the map as unreadable. It appears that StarEdit does do something to sign the files ... In WinMPQ I just deleted (Attributes) and it seemed to fix it.



TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Apr 28 2017, 10:04 pm Pauper Post #5



Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Colors are not read by StarEdit, and it will always overwrite that section.

I just had the same problem of StarEdit marking the map as unreadable. It appears that StarEdit does do something to sign the files ... In WinMPQ I just deleted (Attributes) and it seemed to fix it.

I had a feeling something weird was going on.. Did this not happen previously (modifying the .CHK files is totally new to me).

I will give it a shot right now and let you know if removing the attribute file works for me to.

EDIT: Can confirm that removing the attribute file resolves the issue. I was able to change the player colors! Woohoo! I guess we found something new about the latest patch..



Alias: Oo.Pauper.oO - Mp)Madness - Bitz - p00pyjoel

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[06:02 am]
Donald -- Samase
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Butch