Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Can't use variable in certain event
Can't use variable in certain event
Dec 26 2010, 9:03 pm
By: PIESOFTHENORTH  

Dec 26 2010, 9:03 pm PIESOFTHENORTH Post #1



I am having difficulty with these things.

1. In the event Unit enters a distance from Unit it won't let me use a variable unit for the second unit. Any way to allow this?

2. Is there a way to keep text tags locked on the unit when it moves? I can attach it but it doesn't stick to the unit when it moves away.

3. I have an trigger that orders a unit to hold position, I have another trigger that fires when a unit is ordered to hold position. The first trigger does its job fine, but for some reason the second trigger doesn't fire. I tried putting a computer in the slot of the player that has this unit (this is all in editor testing btw), but it still won't work.



None.

Dec 26 2010, 9:52 pm Ahli Post #2

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

@1
Use a region and attach the region onto the unit.

@3
Does the second trigger work, if the player presses the button ingame?
You can workaround that with the run trigger action.




Dec 27 2010, 12:22 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #3



If I manually hold position then the second trigger works for me, but the unit i'm trying to order is for a different player.



None.

Dec 27 2010, 3:16 am Roy Post #4

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from PIESOFTHENORTH
1. In the event Unit enters a distance from Unit it won't let me use a variable unit for the second unit. Any way to allow this?
As far as I know, no, not directly. Using a different event would probably be better, depending on what you want to accomplish.

Quote from PIESOFTHENORTH
2. Is there a way to keep text tags locked on the unit when it moves? I can attach it but it doesn't stick to the unit when it moves away.
There is an action called "Set Position of Text Tag" which takes in a point. You can periodically set it to the position of a specified unit.

Quote from PIESOFTHENORTH
3. I have an trigger that orders a unit to hold position, I have another trigger that fires when a unit is ordered to hold position. The first trigger does its job fine, but for some reason the second trigger doesn't fire. I tried putting a computer in the slot of the player that has this unit (this is all in editor testing btw), but it still won't work.
There is a conditional statement to check a current unit's order. If the hold position event is supposed to fire from an order from a trigger, then simply have the trigger run when you want it to run. The event fires when a hold position has been issued by a player in-game, and not when one has been set via an action.




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet