Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: "Open to public" failed due to observers?
"Open to public" failed due to observers?
Oct 13 2010, 11:32 pm
By: mudtalo  

Oct 13 2010, 11:32 pm mudtalo Post #1



I want to play a game I have on B.net. So I create a game, but can only invite people on my friends list. The option to open to public is greyed out and I get the message: "Option unavailable when observers are present"

What does that even mean? How do I fix it?



None.

Oct 13 2010, 11:51 pm payne Post #2

:payne:

This looks like a Game Variants problem. Mind posting them?



None.

Oct 15 2010, 4:20 pm Azrael Post #3



Yes, I have to agree that it appears to be a problem with Game Variants. There's a small possibility that it is something different, and there are any number of things which could be problematic with the Game Variants, so your best bet in reaching a solution is by posting them so we can tell you what the exact problem is.




Oct 15 2010, 7:04 pm mudtalo Post #4



Well i looked in the game variants, but everything was just labled custom. I have a long way to go to figuring this stuff out, and I am learning a lot by making a lot of mistakes. Thanks for the help, here is my map:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6vhjlpk1lsw11i3



None.

Oct 16 2010, 4:45 am payne Post #5

:payne:

First of all: the map's layout looks really great! The dimensions are most likely to make the game fast-paced, which most of the people like. ;)
Secondly, I took a brief look into your Map Init. trigger (just for fun), and realized it looked like you didn't know about "Pick Each Integer" action.
Those "player != playing => remove unit" actions could've been made much faster by doing:
"Pick Each Integer 1 to 8, If player [picked integer] != playing => remove unit from blabla[picked integer]".

An other thing: when using arrays, I'd STRONGLY suggest to do +1 array. What I mean is that if you want a variable with 8 arrays because you think you'll use it independently for 8 players, well, instead of 8 arrays, give it 9 arrays.
Why?
Because arrays start at 0 and not 1. This means you already have made the error: in your map, "PlayerUnit" variable has 8 arrays, and you start with [1], going up to [8], while first array is [0] and the 8th is [7].
With 9 arrays, you can skip the 1st array (being [0]), and start directly with a matching array-number with the player-number. It also helps a lot with [Picked Integer] since we can't do [Picked Integer +1].

Now, for the Game Variants:
Not sure if it's because I simply opened as a Temp(orary) file, but it looked like you had absolutely NO Game Variants. I'm too lazy to save (ya, -that- lazy), so could you confirm me that you have no Game Variants?
We have a Wiki explaining those. Check it out! ;)



None.

Oct 20 2010, 8:59 pm mudtalo Post #6



Ok i think I understand what I was missing. Ofcourse now I get an error when I try to upload the map: "Variant definitions could not be validated"

I went to the wiki and even tried removing variants that might not be working, but I am not even sure if that's the issue anymore. It seems like every time I fix something, something else breaks. Once again, here is a link to download the latest version of the map. And as always I appriciate the help and hope that as soon as I get this all working I can make some better games for everyone.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vlvns01i1499fu3



None.

Oct 20 2010, 11:42 pm payne Post #7

:payne:

1) Add an array-size to your variable "PlayerUnit". I've already explained you why.
2) Remove the "Rules" Variant: I never used it and I don't know what it does.
3) You have 3 "Teams" Variants. They for sure conflict with each other. You must have at most 2.
4) "Color", "Race" and "Controller" should all be set into Player Properties. Remove those from the Variants.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Mr.BurnLiquid, Moose