Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: War Torn Badlands
War Torn Badlands
Sep 9 2010, 6:40 am
By: samsizzle  

Sep 9 2010, 6:40 am samsizzle Post #1





Battle-torn countryside terrain for an upcoming Shooter map. Featuring sandbags, and broken pavement.



None.

Sep 9 2010, 9:57 pm JaFF Post #2



Sandbags = win. I just love these little concepts people still come up with. Excellent job.



None.

Sep 9 2010, 10:19 pm Aristocrat Post #3



Very, very good terrain, although with that amount of sprite usage your map probably won't have very large spans of terrain like this :P.



None.

Sep 9 2010, 11:42 pm LoTu)S Post #4



The map looks really really nice. The sandbags are what won me over. What sprites did you use for that? I'm curious. :D



None.

Sep 10 2010, 12:39 am Aristocrat Post #5



Quote from LoTu)S
The map looks really really nice. The sandbags are what won me over. What sprites did you use for that? I'm curious. :D

I think Badlands Rock Doodad 06, although I might remember it wrong. I used it to make a rocky boundary in one of my early RPG maps.



None.

Sep 10 2010, 4:30 am DavidJCobb Post #6



That is just epic. The sandbag thing is quite original. Don't quite like how those scaffoldings just end at the bottom, no blend or nothing, though...



None.

Sep 10 2010, 4:51 am FoxWolf1 Post #7



That is pretty nice-- I've seen the sandbags and the fire escapes before (you might want to lower yours slightly so that the "legs" meet the ground better), but if you could put them together into a coherent whole with interesting game systems, it could make for an interesting map.

P.S. Are you going to have terrain-based enterable buildings? It's a trick I learned about from the same map that I first saw the sandbags used in: basically, the building itself is hollow but roofed with flat sprites from the space tileset's doodads so that you can walk inside it. It does use a lot of sprites per building, but being able to hide inside and shoot at people through the windows is way cool...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 10 2010, 5:03 am by FoxWolf1.



None.

Sep 11 2010, 8:46 pm samsizzle Post #8



Yeah, all in all it uses a ton of sprites. The play field is 60x36 and its used 152 sprites so far. The enterable buildings idea might be good for this map... although you wouldn't be able to climb on top of roofs anymore. Like I said, it's a shooter map. Now that I think about it it'll be a lot like CoD... anyways, here's the finished product.





None.

Sep 11 2010, 9:12 pm stickynote Post #9



Wow. That's really nice. I especially like the broken pavement.



None.

Feb 15 2011, 9:56 pm Cadia- Post #10



you need to upload this so people can dl it it is pure win!



None.

Feb 23 2011, 8:00 pm samsizzle Post #11



Quote from Cadia-
you need to upload this so people can dl it it is pure win!

Feel free to use the maps. Please give credit tho. Wartorn2 is a later version, a bit different.

Attachments:
Wartorn1.scx
Hits: 7 Size: 93.88kb
Wartorn2.scx
Hits: 7 Size: 111.08kb



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob