Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: wtb Headphones
wtb Headphones
Aug 18 2010, 6:45 am
By: Alzarath  

Aug 18 2010, 6:45 am Alzarath Post #1

Praetor

So, I'm looking for some nice headphones, preferrably with surround sound built-in. A max would be at about $100, with a comfort zone of $20. What would be a nice pair?



None.

Aug 18 2010, 9:57 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Surround sound? Like 5.1 or 7.1? Headphones are always stereo...




Aug 18 2010, 11:38 am Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

First of all, 20-100 is not a good range to give because its too large and the difference between a 20$ headset and a 100$ headset is astronomical. Second, Nude, headsets can incorporate multiple speaker setups within and simulate surround sound.

So for 100$, we have this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328 but note that unless you have a good soundcard, (and no I don't mean your integrated OMG HD AUDIO from your motherboard, because that's going to sound like shit) this would be a waste. And note that no MP3 player is going to take advantage of their full potential either.

For something a little less pricey, try these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826159203

But when it comes to headphones of higher quality, when we start talking about above-basic connectors and the kind of stuff you're going to see a real DJ use, that's a bit above my level of audio experience. You might want to drop by Anandtech's audio and home theater forum and talk to some of their experts. This is of course assuming you're not just going to be using them on a shitty soundcard with source audio in a lossy codec. Which I think you will be.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 18 2010, 11:46 am by Excalibur.




SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 18 2010, 7:54 pm Alzarath Post #4

Praetor

Quote from Excalibur
First of all, 20-100 is not a good range to give because its too large and the difference between a 20$ headset and a 100$ headset is astronomical. Second, Nude, headsets can incorporate multiple speaker setups within and simulate surround sound.

I actually meant a $20 comfort zone of the $100, so $100-$120.

Quote from Excalibur
So for 100$, we have this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328 but note that unless you have a good soundcard, (and no I don't mean your integrated OMG HD AUDIO from your motherboard, because that's going to sound like shit) this would be a waste. And note that no MP3 player is going to take advantage of their full potential either.

For something a little less pricey, try these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826159203

I'll look into them.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Mr.BurnLiquid, Symmetry, City