Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Status of the Terraining Community.
Status of the Terraining Community.
Aug 9 2010, 8:50 am
By: RoryFenrir  

Aug 9 2010, 8:50 am RoryFenrir Post #1



Hello, I used to be a quite active member in the SEN and Maplantis Terraining community, and I am wondering how things have changed with Star Craft II. To me it looks like the only tool is the Blizzard Map Editor, which if it at all is like the first, it has limits in the environment you can create. I know it took time for Starforge and SCMDraft to develope, but those programs made terraining in StarCraft. I started terraining after the development of these programs so there was alot of cool stuff going on already. Through map contests and various artists, alot of new and cool blends were developed in a short time. I guess this is the community I remember, which I greatly enjoyed as it helped me find a niche while increasing skill. I hope Starcraft II, for SEN's sake, will someday offer the same possibilities for terrainers.

(I havent actually gotten to play StarCraft II yet)



None.

Aug 9 2010, 12:40 pm Devourer Post #2

Hello

I doubt that there will be tools like scmdraft as stuff like tiles don't appear to be possible. The terraining in sc2 is now based by textures (you can import custom textures as well) and cliff levels. Different but in my eyes better than sc1 mapping. Just like wc3 mapping.

Long time no see, welcome back :)



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 9 2010, 1:33 pm fat_flying_pigs Post #3



How do you import custom textures? I've looked around but couldn't find anything...



None.

Aug 9 2010, 3:03 pm Devourer Post #4

Hello

It's in the data editor, in the tab Terrain if I remember correctly... look around in there, you should find it.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 9 2010, 10:16 pm fat_flying_pigs Post #5



I'm in the data tab, under terrain. I created a new object.
It has 2 settings that I have to fill in: 'Normal Map' and 'Texture'
All the other terrain objects have Assets\Textures\NAMEnormal.dds for 'normal map'
and Assets\Textures\NAME.dds for 'texture'

When I try to change it, it give me an archive browser that give me 2 folders 'assets' and 'editor data'
My file is not under either, and I don't see any way to find files outside the 2 folders it gives you.



None.

Aug 9 2010, 10:23 pm Devourer Post #6

Hello

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8792/unbenannthr.png


Get there, it's the tab Texture Sets if I remember correctly (using german editor :S)
This way you can at least replace textures as far as I know, but as I am not having a texture I cannot check.

HINT: Import a texture first and I'm pretty sure you have to save the map after imported for the item to be listed.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 9 2010, 10:36 pm fat_flying_pigs Post #7



Quote
HINT: Import a texture first and I'm pretty sure you have to save the map after imported for the item to be listed.
Argh! How do you import the texture!? Is it with the Import button (F9)? If so, how do I use it; it doesn't seem to do anything.



None.

Aug 9 2010, 10:39 pm Devourer Post #8

Hello

Go to the import manager, rightclick on the big field, import file.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 9 2010, 10:42 pm fat_flying_pigs Post #9



OMG THANK YOU!
It's taken me a week to figure that out... I was looking around for a button, or somewhere in the menu bar XD



None.

Aug 10 2010, 3:01 am payne Post #10

:payne:

Quote from Devourer
Go to the import manager, rightclick on the big field, import file.
An important step is to save before leaving the 'Import' tab window. Most of the people forget about that and have many problems further on. ;o



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet