Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: [Solved] Cycle through Interceptors
[Solved] Cycle through Interceptors
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jul 7 2010, 1:10 am
By: Vrael  

Jul 7 2010, 1:10 am Vrael Post #1



In my map I am using the fact that interceptors will always try to return to their carrier to act as a sort of projectile weapon, and when they come in contact with an enemy they explode and deal damage. The problem with this is, there are multiple interceptors in the location and I want to cycle through each one to check if there are enemies at all of them. Unfortunately the action "Give 1 protoss interceptor at "detction location"" does not work, and if I give the carrier that owns the interceptors instead, it gives all the interceptors instead of just the one I want to give. Is there another location-frugal way to cycle through interceptors?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 7 2010, 3:57 am by Vrael.



None.

Jul 7 2010, 1:28 am Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Two things that come to mind:

1. Locations on all units that interceptors can run into, if possible
2. One Interceptor per Carrier

Really, if you're trying to detect what interceptor hit a unit, how will you know to which unit the damage should be dealt? Are the units all unique? In that case, #1 would work.




Jul 7 2010, 2:24 am Vrael Post #3



Sticking a location on each unit an interceptor can hit isn't feasible unfortunately.
One interceptor per carrier, I'd have no idea how to keep track of which interceptor goes with which carrier. I can think of one way maybe, but it involves way too many locations.

If I had been able to use the give action, one of the conditions in my trigger is simply: "Foes brings at least 1 men to detection location", so no, the units are not all unique, and it just deals damage to whatever Foe unit is there regardless of what type (human scarab DDS).

The other method I was possibly thinking about, was to center the location on the interceptor, detect foes, and if none are there move it to another location, center on the next one, ect ect, until there are none left, then move them back, but that would require a location for each interceptor, which I don't want to do either, and it would probably mess with their movement as well, which is unacceptable.



None.

Jul 7 2010, 3:15 am Azrael Post #4



Quote from Vrael
One interceptor per carrier, I'd have no idea how to keep track of which interceptor goes with which carrier.
Cycling through the carriers should work if you have one interceptor per carrier, or can you not use "give units" at all?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 7 2010, 3:21 am by Azrael.Wrath.




Jul 7 2010, 3:57 am Vrael Post #5



Lethal helped me solve this. I'm using a grid of burrowed units to check the 'lanes' that the interceptors fly in. I probably should have given more info about how I'm using them in the opening post.


Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Quote from Vrael
One interceptor per carrier, I'd have no idea how to keep track of which interceptor goes with which carrier.
Cycling through the carriers should work if you have one interceptor per carrier, or can you not use "give units" at all?
I can't use "give units" on the interceptors at all, it simply doesn't work. I could use it on the carriers, but then I'd need to set up some system to keep track of which interceptor goes with which carrier, which would probably involve more locations than necessary and get real ugly real fast.



None.

Jul 7 2010, 4:08 am Azrael Post #6



Quote from Vrael
I can't use "give units" on the interceptors at all, it simply doesn't work.
I know, I said to cycle through the carriers, not the interceptors. I guess it matters exactly how you're using them in your map.

Quote from Vrael
I probably should have given more info about how I'm using them in the opening post.
Helps =P

Edit: Always remember you can attach the map for more accurate and thorough help ^^

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 7 2010, 4:16 am by Azrael.Wrath.




Jul 7 2010, 4:55 am Vrael Post #7



On a related note, I did test out the give unit thing on a carrier and the interceptor is given at the exact same time, there's no delay or anything like when a carrier dies. So for anyone who cares to read this, that system would have been something like:

Create X carriers with property 1 in hangar
Move interceptors accordingly.
Give 1 carrier from P1 to P2.
Action on P2 interceptor
Give 1 carrier from P2 to P3
Give 1 carrier from P1 to P2
Action on P2 interceptor
.
.
.
Give all carrier from P3 to P1

Only problem remaining in that system would be if you kill/remove the interceptor when you act on it, or if the carrier has more than 1 interceptor in play.

Quote
Edit: Always remember you can attach the map for more accurate and thorough help ^^
Lol, yeah I suppose I could have. I don't even think of doing that anymore though, no one has the time to look through the 6k triggers of half-commented-half-uncommented crap. I guess the terrain might've helped to visualize it though.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob