Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Modding in maps?
Modding in maps?
Jun 17 2010, 5:55 am
By: DeathWingSC  

Jun 17 2010, 5:55 am DeathWingSC Post #1



Alright. Another "Oh god! Please help me, I'm a total noobie that has no idea wtf he is doing!".

I had been working on a simple, but fun RPG that I had discontinued in 2008. However, in order to utilize the vision system(Ty, rockz) I have to totally redo the RPG, which is ridiculous, considering how much time I put into it(not including before the discontinue). The RPG is totally broken without the vision system(Seriously, you can see an area that you will only get to much later, just by using your first spell).

What I plan to do is make it a 3 player map (I hate many players in one game in a long rpg. I feel that long Rpg's require a built-up relationship, and create them too, with too many people, this is not possible). You all start with the same unit. But, you later train into certain classes, also able to do multi-classes, but not as effective and you lose valuable specials.

The problem: I cannot truly come up with a good unit to use as a global base-unit. Dark templar came to mind, it's perfect for this kind of thing. However, this would be too similar to Remisa's Spellsword RPG, which would make me guilty to copy the idea.


TRUE PROBLEM: I would like to disable regeneration on something such as a Zergling, and give it shields. Or perhaps enable shields for a Terran unit.
Basically: I need to mod the game without limiting the map to single player or NON-battle.net.

My modding capabilities are fine for this. However, if I have to learn the "sneaky" triggering of SCMdraft to do some of the things I want to do, could you inform me of a tutorial or something to get me there?

I got 4 weeks to do w/e the hell I like, and I've had some irregular hours of sleep, so friends have come by while I'm sleeping. No plans. Grade 8 is a breeze. I got time. ^^

****Note: I do realise I have brought multiple questions to the thread, some unrelated. If you do not have to answer to some if you don't know the answer (I know you do, you just want to keep your deep dark secrets to yourself :-( .), but even if it's a guess, lay it here. Even though I'm pretty sure the Pro's will answer this laughing at me with fingers pointing. :D

PS: Sorry for the long ass post. :|



None.

Jun 17 2010, 7:43 am rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Make it like remisa's spellsword rpg and stop trying to do impossible things. To turn on shields, you'll have to either mod the game (not bnet friendly) or play on an old patch (not bnet friendly). To disable zerg regeneration, I presume you have to mod that too, but I don't even know how to do that.

As for the vision system, you've got a problem with revealing areas you don't want to reveal, right? If you can, use a new computer, or a different computer as vision. Since you only have 3 players, you should have 5 computers. If you don't want shared vision, you still have 2 computers left. If you do want shared vision, you have 4 computers left.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jun 17 2010, 7:51 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #3

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from rockz
To turn on shields, you'll have to either mod the game (not bnet friendly) or play on an old patch (not bnet friendly). To disable zerg regeneration, I presume you have to mod that too, but I don't even know how to do that.
Or use EUD Enabler ... It's slightly more bnet friendly, but still not.



TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 17 2010, 8:47 am samsizzle Post #4



You're probably gonna want to look into EUDs and EUD actions. Everything you said you'd like to do I'm pretty sure I've seen with Farty's EUD action enabler.



None.

Jun 18 2010, 1:08 am DeathWingSC Post #5



After a bit of thought I have another question.

Is it possible to detect the % of hp a unit has and relate a trigger to that?
Such as the unit having 100 total hp, but his max at that moment is 30. When he regens to 31, it changes him back to 30 instantly.



None.

Jun 18 2010, 1:37 am Aristocrat Post #6



Quote from DeathWingSC
After a bit of thought I have another question.

Is it possible to detect the % of hp a unit has and relate a trigger to that?
Such as the unit having 100 total hp, but his max at that moment is 30. When he regens to 31, it changes him back to 30 instantly.
Why can't you just use a non-regenerating unit...

EUD HP detection works, but I highly doubt that's feasible.



None.

Jun 18 2010, 1:53 am DeathWingSC Post #7



Alright, scratch the regen part, and anything else EUD related. I apologize for suggesting such ridiculous things.

For vision I have an idea to use the Observer as the base unit, constantly moving it over the current form of the hero. I will also replace the observer somehow during the night phases.
Thank you for the help guys.



None.

Jun 18 2010, 12:46 pm rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

If you use an observer, it will slow the unit down. Create a zergling first, then center the location over the zergling and create the observer over it. Or just don't use an observer in the first place.



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: @:@