Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Photon Cannon being powered without pylon
Photon Cannon being powered without pylon
May 17 2010, 2:29 am
By: DeM)s.  

May 17 2010, 2:29 am DeM)s. Post #1



Recently I've been encountering a lot of problems in making my map. :(
Anyway, here's the problem.

Problem:
Making the protoss photon cannon powered without the association of a pylon. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in various maps I just can't get it. (Originally I thought it had to do with the doodad state but the trigger that enables the doodad state isn't making it work)

*Note
I would just use a protoss probe so a pylon can be created but the probe is currently being used for other purposes which makes it impossible for me to incorporate it into that role. Instead I'm using an SCV and a trigger.
Trigger:
Trigger
Players

  • Player X
  • Conditions

  • Player X brings at least 1 Stationary Catapult (Building) to location "Anywhere"
  • Actions

  • Center location "PX CP" on "Stationary Catapult (Building) owned by Player X at "Anywhere"
  • Remove all "Stationary Catapult (Building) for "Player X" at location "PX CP"
  • Move Unit "Worker" at location "PX CP" to locaton "SCV Dump 1"
  • Create 1 "Stationary Catapult" at location "PX CP" for "Player X"
  • "Enable" doodad state for "Stationary Catapult" for "Player X" at location "PX CP"
  • Move all "Worker" for "Player X" at "SCV Dump X" to "PX CP"
  • Preserve Trigger
  • Comment: Player X Catapult Creation




  • None.

    May 17 2010, 5:53 am rockz Post #2

    ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

    Enabling a protoss building will power it until a unit is created.

    Just make a trigger which constantly enables it on hyper triggers. Note that you can only enable one unit type per location. It would be wise to move a burrowed unit under each pylon and cycle through the burrowed unit, each time enabling the photon cannon.



    "Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

    May 22 2010, 10:19 am Ranzear Post #3



    Yeah, protoss building power states are reset every time a unit is created or killed and all sorts of other triggers afaik.

    I tried to do this in Zombie Outbreak, and only wound up making it flash powered like a damn strobelight because I have so many units being created and killed constantly.

    What you could plausibly do is make every other turret built be made a pylon instead (and even refund the cash for it), as my map does. Pylons don't work too well for walling anyway

    You can also check for a pylon in the vicinity of a potential pylon and make it a turret instead so you don't get too much overlap, pretty much so any swap-building placed next to the pylon will always be the building instead of a pylon. These are all ideas I had after just making my map build Cannon-Pylon-Cannon and thats all that is allowed for balance.



    None.

    May 22 2010, 12:52 pm Aristocrat Post #4



    I always got around this by disabling player's vision with himself and putting essential units in the fog of war.



    None.

    May 22 2010, 10:01 pm Biophysicist Post #5



    Quote
    I tried to do this in Zombie Outbreak, and only wound up making it flash powered like a damn strobelight because I have so many units being created and killed constantly.
    Did you have hyper triggers?



    None.

    May 25 2010, 1:30 pm Ranzear Post #6



    Quote from Ranzear
    flashed powered like a damn strobelight
    Yes. I would hope that wasn't a dumb question.

    I have units being culled and created every cycle at times; with up to sixteen to nineteen units being created and distributed to random locations three at a time it can definitely get backlogged when calling for more of a particular type.

    Any map with significant action is going to mess with forced doodad power.



    None.

    Options
      Back to forum
    Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
    Members in this topic: None.
    [02:43 am]
    Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
    [2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
    Ultraviolet -- @:@
    @:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
    Still going.. strong is debatable though.
    [2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
    WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
    [2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
    WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
    [2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
    WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
    [2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
    @:@ -- this community still going strong?
    [2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
    Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
    [2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
    NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
    [2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
    NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
    Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
    so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
    [2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
    Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
    Please log in to shout.


    Members Online: MobMob