Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Any help making starcraft maps not moddable?
Any help making starcraft maps not moddable?
Apr 26 2010, 8:03 pm
By: x-EnAlex  

Apr 26 2010, 8:03 pm x-EnAlex Post #1



I've been getting irritated that some people stole some of my testing maps and made it into their own :l, I helped a lot of people do RP triggers, but never in my life did I see so many people trying to steal my maps that I am trying to create. I'm helping with a kid right now trying to map WaF triggers and he steals mine and turns it into his own map. I had to delete the map before he even pasted it and he actually reported me, which ended up in a giant huge fight against me and him. I've heard there is a tool to prevent people from stealing your maps, so is there a way to make people :stfu: for good?

Oh yeah, I checked Google, wikipedia, and almost anything, but virus scan shows all programs at least have a trojan or a worm :l

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 26 2010, 10:44 pm by rockz. Reason: merged posts



None.

Apr 26 2010, 10:56 pm rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

http://www.staredit.net/?p=database&area=browse&cata=programs
check our database. What you're looking for is map protection. Things like uberation, proedit, and shadow protector corrupt certain parts of the map which makes it unreadable by staredit and scmdraft, sometimes starforge. Also tinymap2 will prevent staredit and scmdraft from opening the map, but not starforge. Protection is not perfect (as anyone with a hex editor can unprotect a map using the information found on this site and in the wiki) because starcraft can read the map. If starcraft can read the map, so can a map editor, so long as you tweak the map a little.

The best way to keep people from stealing your work is label it here. Make your own production thread. If they steal your triggers, think of it as a compliment. If they steal your entire map, then you can either refer back to the original thread with you as the author, or you can let him take whatever minute glory there is in making a starcraft map.

I recommend you use tinymap to protect the map, since it won't actually protect it, but it will make it very difficult for anyone to edit most of it, and give a nice compression as well. There are also unprotectors out there which will rebuild the map so that staredit can read the file, so protection has lost its edge.

Also, generally you don't protect a testing map, since you want to edit it. Just don't worry about it. It's only a game. That's why I don't even put my name on maps I make (not that I make that many).



"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: O)FaRTy1billion[MM]