Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Angles for DDS system
Angles for DDS system
Mar 28 2010, 3:22 am
By: Jesusfreak  

Mar 28 2010, 3:22 am Jesusfreak Post #1



Ok, so I finally located the tutorial for the DDS system, but one thing in particular that confused me was the thing about the angles and the placing of the reavers and scarabs.

Am I not able to place the reavers wherever I want them? How do I know where to put them? How do I know whether or not the area I put them will cover the area I want them to?

I really needed the damage system to be able to work across most of the map....



None.

Mar 28 2010, 3:38 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #2



I just ignored the angles thing and it worked fine for me haha



None.

Mar 28 2010, 3:41 am Jesusfreak Post #3



Ok, but does it have to be in the bottom right corner of the map? I already have crap in the botom right corner XD.

Do you have a test map I could see?



None.

Mar 28 2010, 6:34 am Jack Post #4

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I put mine along the bottom, closer to the left. The concept map I saw had them at the top and right. AFAIK the important thing is that the scarabs attack right to left(or maybe just horizontal)



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 28 2010, 7:07 am NudeRaider Post #5

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I'm not an expert on DDSes but I suppose it has something to do with you "generic command target" which is used for the "make these units patrol" AI. By default the target is located in the top left of the map, thus when your reavers are bottom right the scarabs will run diagonally to the top left.
If you set it somewhere else, for example in the far bottom left and your path for sorting out scarabs would be vertically the scarabs wouldn't move as they are trying to walk left when they can only walk up.

Again this is only a theory.




Mar 28 2010, 3:54 pm ImagoDeo Post #6



I always understood it this way - when the scarabs are moved to the storage area, they automatically attempt to move to the upper-left corner of the map. When the storage area is in an inopportune location, such as the bottom-left corner, for example, their pathing AI takes them against a wall and they explode. However, if the DDS is placed along the top side of the map - anywhere along the top side - then the scarabs' pathing AI doesn't cause problems until the last square and a half of terrain. That's where they explode. The best place to have a DDS would be in the upper-right corner.

Of course, though this is mostly speculation, I have implemented DDS systems before, so I have some experience in this.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: NudeRaider