Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Computer AI, Dispersing
Computer AI, Dispersing
Oct 31 2007, 2:38 am
By: Sie_Sayoka  

Oct 31 2007, 2:38 am Sie_Sayoka Post #1



I need an AI that orders units to disperse to random areas on the map when starting in a location. The units also need to attack any enemies that are along the way. Anyone know of an AI capable of this? I have already tried junkyard dog, it only works if they are in a certain location.



None.

Oct 31 2007, 3:24 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Sie_Sayoka
I need an AI that orders units to disperse to random areas on the map when starting in a location. The units also need to attack any enemies that are along the way. Anyone know of an AI capable of this? I have already tried junkyard dog, it only works if they are in a certain location.
You say "units starting in a location" [...] "only works if they are in a certain location" So where's the problem?

But you could try to send them on random suicide missions (ai script).




Oct 31 2007, 3:54 am Oyen Post #3



The random suicide missions would work unless you have other units owned by the player that you dont want suiciding.



None.

Oct 31 2007, 4:12 am Sie_Sayoka Post #4



Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Sie_Sayoka
I need an AI that orders units to disperse to random areas on the map when starting in a location. The units also need to attack any enemies that are along the way. Anyone know of an AI capable of this? I have already tried junkyard dog, it only works if they are in a certain location.
You say "units starting in a location" [...] "only works if they are in a certain location" So where's the problem?

But you could try to send them on random suicide missions (ai script).

i want units to start in a small location, and end up outside of the location. junkyard dog only works if the unit is inside a location.

Quote from Oyen
The random suicide missions would work unless you have other units owned by the player that you dont want suiciding.

I want only a select few to disperse, in a 3x3 location.



None.

Oct 31 2007, 4:13 am Durandal Post #5



Painstakingly trigger the attack commands for the individual units?



None.

Oct 31 2007, 12:18 pm NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Sie_Sayoka
Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Sie_Sayoka
I need an AI that orders units to disperse to random areas on the map when starting in a location. The units also need to attack any enemies that are along the way. Anyone know of an AI capable of this? I have already tried junkyard dog, it only works if they are in a certain location.
You say "units starting in a location" [...] "only works if they are in a certain location" So where's the problem?

But you could try to send them on random suicide missions (ai script).

i want units to start in a small location, and end up outside of the location. junkyard dog only works if the unit is inside a location.

Quote from Oyen
The random suicide missions would work unless you have other units owned by the player that you dont want suiciding.

I want only a select few to disperse, in a 3x3 location.
There's a trick that definetely works when you would use order:
Give the units in the 3x3 loc to a free comp player, start the ai in the big location and quickly give the units back to the original player.
Maybe it works even if the units were ordered by junkyard dog. Dunno, just an idea.

The next best thing I can think of is you set up your own random targets and manually order the units.
For example have some obs junkyard dog in the large area.
Then, when the dispersing should take place
1. center a location on 1 obs at that loc (leftmost will be taken)
2. order ONE unit in the 3x3 loc to patrol there.
3. give the obs to another player (for later use) or remove it
4. REPEAT: center on next obs, order next single unit and give obs another player...

If you have really lots of units you can repeat that by giving the obs back to the original player and wait a certain time until the obs have moved enough to appear random.

And no, there's no ai script that can do exactly what you want. But feel free to write one. ;)
When you get deeper into mapping you will notice sc is rly restricted with its possibilities.
Often you will need to find a way complex way that doesn't work perfect to implement a simple idea.




Oct 31 2007, 2:23 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #7



olright thx ill try it out



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[06:02 am]
Donald -- Samase
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Wing Zero