DDS Assistance.
Mar 16 2010, 5:08 am
By: FlashBeer  

Mar 16 2010, 5:08 am FlashBeer Post #1



I read that you could make eternal scarabs by using the 'Generic Command' and 'Units Patrol' AI. You just have to wait until the non-eternal scarabs explode to weed them out.

So what the is exact process of obtaining and using eternal scarabs? Do I just constantly run the 2 AIs?



None.

Mar 16 2010, 5:13 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Direct_Damage_System_(DDS)
Scroll to step 2.

Keep in mind that using the wiki before posting is part of the posting rules.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 16 2010, 6:08 pm by NudeRaider. Reason: typo




Mar 16 2010, 5:18 am FlashBeer Post #3



I am aware, and have read that, as well as about 3 hours in the search.



None.

Mar 16 2010, 6:31 am SelfPossessed Post #4



For controlling Scarabs in general, http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Ordering_and_Using_Interceptors/Scarabs

For using it with DDS, it isn't practical. No matter which method you use (Random Suicide or move to unplacable), the Scarab will die. With Random Suicide, the death is delayed for a few seconds, but I have found no means of preventing it altogether. Once the Scarab dies, generating new eternal Scarabs would take far too long due to the weeding process.



None.

Mar 16 2010, 4:24 pm NudeRaider Post #5

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Well then where exactly is your problem? The process is explained in detail. Testing out if you have to run the AIs constantly or not should be easy and quickly done.
I'm not entirely sure but I'd suppose you only have to set the command point once (why should you have set the target over and over?) and you have to apply the patrol AI to every new scarab (how would new scarabs know where to go and why should the old ones forget their order?).




Mar 16 2010, 6:04 pm FlashBeer Post #6



So what I'm wondering is, what is the exact process of filtering the scarabs that last forever, from the ones that do last?

Do I just run the AI once, or once after every scarab is made?
Do I run the AI at location?
Do I run the AI before or after I move it to storage?
Am I suppose to only have 1 scarab out at a time?

Running all these tests would take a while, as I am not sure on a lot of things. The wiki explains only how to store temporary-lasting scarabs indefinitely- however, this consumes a lot of weapon sprites.



None.

Mar 16 2010, 6:14 pm NudeRaider Post #7

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

1) The set command point once, the patrol after every scarab
2) yes. Command point needs a destination, patrol needs a start
3) after moving them to the long location to weed them out.
4) you can have as many reavers spitting out scarabs simultaneously as you need.




Mar 16 2010, 6:38 pm JaFF Post #8



We really should update that article. The system explained there sucks. :P



None.

Mar 16 2010, 10:30 pm FlashBeer Post #9



I have tried setting the 'generic command' once at the long storage bar, then created a scarab, moved one to the start of the storage, and ran 'units to patrol' at the start. It took a while to get the golden scarabs, but they didn't last forever, nor did they do dmg every loop. What am I doing wrong?



None.

Mar 17 2010, 12:37 am SelfPossessed Post #10



Quote from SelfPossessed
For controlling Scarabs in general, http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Ordering_and_Using_Interceptors/Scarabs

For using it with DDS, it isn't practical. No matter which method you use (Random Suicide or move to unplacable), the Scarab will die. With Random Suicide, the death is delayed for a few seconds, but I have found no means of preventing it altogether. Once the Scarab dies, generating new eternal Scarabs would take far too long due to the weeding process.

Quoted for emphasis.



None.

Mar 17 2010, 12:50 am FlashBeer Post #11



My purpose wasn't to get the scarabs to walk, but instead, to last forever. I already know about random suicide and move to unplaceable. Since I am not getting anywhere with this topic, I'll just go with move to unplaceable for my purposes.

Thank you everyone for trying.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: NudeRaider