Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Hacking...and confusion.
Hacking...and confusion.
Apr 15 2008, 1:05 am
By: Hug A Zergling
Pages: 1 2 3 >
 

Apr 15 2008, 1:05 am Hug A Zergling Post #1



I thought I had a good grip of what hacking was, when someone uses programs to access illegal things is software. This idea covered everything, from hacking games to programs. But then, i went on this site called Hackaday.com (Or something) and none of its hacks involved my idea. So what exactly is hacking? I did a little research, and that brought it black and white hats, obviously having nothing to do with this type of stuff. So my question is, what exactly is hacking?



None.

Apr 15 2008, 1:12 am Centreri Post #2

Relatively ancient and inactive

Well, what I know is that black hats are malicious hackers and white hats are nice hackers. Other then that, I just group all that into one category.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 1:14 am Forsaken Archer Post #3



Hacking is pretty broad. Google definition:
Quote
Unauthorized use, or attempts to circumvent or bypass the security mechanisms of an information system or network.
Which can be simply logging into someone else's computer with a valid password.

Hacking, like internet 'real' definition, is getting around security without the use of programs that do the hard work for you (scripts -> script kiddies).

Hacking can also be like... getting around the normal, hmm ,logical method of things. Like if I applied code to the forums that says if (topic = this one) { // give no minerals }. I would call that a hack because it's like, screwing with the normal progression of the topic code.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 1:17 am Hug A Zergling Post #4



Ah, I see. So it can be almost anything that defys the way something normally works?



None.

Apr 15 2008, 7:49 am Rantent Post #5



Hacking is being more intelligent than the computer.
It's saddens me that so few are able to do so.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 10:13 am MindArchon Post #6



Quote from name:isolatedpurity
Hacking can also be like... getting around the normal, hmm ,logical method of things. Like if I applied code to the forums that says if (topic = this one) { // give no minerals }. I would call that a hack because it's like, screwing with the normal progression of the topic code.

I think that doesn't have much to do with the "computer" definition of hacking.

In that sense, all you're doing is hacking together something quickly that serves you a quick purpose. Totally different definition in my opinion.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 11:21 am Vi3t-X Post #7



Quote from Rantent
Hacking is being more intelligent than the computer. It's saddens me that so few are able to do so.
I Reluctantly Agree.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 3:27 pm Clokr_ Post #8



Hacking is just going beyond what and application or a system allows you to. And yes, I totally agree with Rantent.



?????

Apr 15 2008, 3:29 pm Brontobyte Post #9



I herd a long time ago that you could type in some sort of script that the computer would read and use. For example:

Lets say I want to turn off my computer. ( Everything is incorrect because I don't know actually what it is )

{turn off=admin computer} or something like that.

They also stated that everything you type into a field the computer reads and if you put some type of malicious code into your computer ( no idea why ) that it would read it as if it were a command from let say notepad/ms word.

I have no idea if this is true or not.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 4:19 pm Clokr_ Post #10



Quote from Brontobyte
I herd a long time ago that you could type in some sort of script that the computer would read and use. For example:

Lets say I want to turn off my computer. ( Everything is incorrect because I don't know actually what it is )

{turn off=admin computer} or something like that.

They also stated that everything you type into a field the computer reads and if you put some type of malicious code into your computer ( no idea why ) that it would read it as if it were a command from let say notepad/ms word.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

Try the following:
Open notepad and type:
Code
shutdown -s

Then save the file as whatever.bat and double click it :P



?????

Apr 15 2008, 4:24 pm Brontobyte Post #11



Quote from Clokr_
Try the following:
Open notepad and type:
Code
shutdown -s

Then save the file as whatever.bat and double click it :P

Or, or you could just tell me what it does. ( shuts off my computer? )



None.

Apr 15 2008, 5:11 pm cheeze Post #12



Quote from Rantent
Hacking is being more intelligent than the computer.
It's saddens me that so few are able to do so.
So true.



None.

Apr 15 2008, 7:57 pm Praetor Post #13

layin' in the cut

You're all wrong (mostly). What most people think hacking is is actually called "cracking," whereas true "hacking" is stuff like hackaday (non-malicious).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hacking_and_cracking



this too shall pass

Apr 15 2008, 8:13 pm The_z0r Post #14



Quote from Praetor
You're all wrong (mostly). What most people think hacking is is actually called "cracking," whereas true "hacking" is stuff like hackaday (non-malicious).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hacking_and_cracking
YES!!! Someone knows!



None.

Apr 15 2008, 8:53 pm Phobos Post #15

Are you sure about that?

Quote from The_z0r
Quote from Praetor
You're all wrong (mostly). What most people think hacking is is actually called "cracking," whereas true "hacking" is stuff like hackaday (non-malicious).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hacking_and_cracking
YES!!! Someone knows!

Right what I was going to say... Hackers make programs and things. Crackers break them.




this is signature

Apr 15 2008, 11:52 pm Hug A Zergling Post #16



I like cloakr_'s definition the best. Thats what i thought, i didnt necisarrily have to do with computer softerware, just electronics. Am I rite?



None.

Apr 16 2008, 12:37 am Syphon Post #17



Hacking is writing quick dirty code that does the job you want it to do.



None.

Apr 16 2008, 2:16 am DT_Battlekruser Post #18



Quote from Clokr_
Quote from Brontobyte
I herd a long time ago that you could type in some sort of script that the computer would read and use. For example:

Lets say I want to turn off my computer. ( Everything is incorrect because I don't know actually what it is )

{turn off=admin computer} or something like that.

They also stated that everything you type into a field the computer reads and if you put some type of malicious code into your computer ( no idea why ) that it would read it as if it were a command from let say notepad/ms word.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

Try the following:
Open notepad and type:
Code
shutdown -s

Then save the file as whatever.bat and double click it :P

It saddens me that despite naively thinking that they have locked us out of DOS by disabling cmd.exe but not command.com, my school still managed to deny shutdown.exe network permissions :(



None.

Apr 16 2008, 3:30 am Syphon Post #19



Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Quote from Clokr_
Quote from Brontobyte
I herd a long time ago that you could type in some sort of script that the computer would read and use. For example:

Lets say I want to turn off my computer. ( Everything is incorrect because I don't know actually what it is )

{turn off=admin computer} or something like that.

They also stated that everything you type into a field the computer reads and if you put some type of malicious code into your computer ( no idea why ) that it would read it as if it were a command from let say notepad/ms word.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

Try the following:
Open notepad and type:
Code
shutdown -s

Then save the file as whatever.bat and double click it :P

It saddens me that despite naively thinking that they have locked us out of DOS by disabling cmd.exe but not command.com, my school still managed to deny shutdown.exe network permissions :(

My school did that too. :P



None.

Apr 16 2008, 3:32 am DT_Battlekruser Post #20



They also disabled the Run prompt but not the creation of shortcuts :lol:



None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: lifebot