Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Ash terrain - "has this always been like this?"
Ash terrain - "has this always been like this?"
Feb 3 2026, 6:57 am
By: NimoStar  

Feb 3 2026, 6:57 am NimoStar Post #1



Sorry to say, I don't have any new material per se

But I wanted to ask if there is any solution to the ugly non-dithering here. The ashes should be dark like the edges, isn't that true?

I remember in old Starcraft installations this didn't happen,

so I don't have idea of the problem.



Look at the jagged squares near the cliffs

OR was it always like this and I just didn't see it with CRT monitor? Seems unlikely



Map editor and reducing contrast to make it as obvious as possible. There is different brightness and the thing is completely square:



how can I fix that?



Ultimate StarCraft: Age of Darkness stand-alone no-cd download (no false positives)

Feb 3 2026, 6:57 pm Ultraviolet Post #2

We do a little trolling

I mean OG SC is almost 30 years old at this point, would say it's a relatively minor issue all things considered. I couldn't even notice it outside of your edited picture personally. I'm not sure how it looks on remastered like if they solved it or not. In any case, outside of modding and changing the tiles yourself, I don't think there's much to be done about it.



My Projects:

Impossible Ultraviolet | Impossible UV 2 | Impossible UV 3
Mercenaries 2020 | Mercenaries III
Squad Defense

Legacy Projects (No guarantee of functionality in modern SC):

Pixel Adventure 2 | Space Snipers | Control the Ball

______________________________________________

Join me in Torn City

Feb 3 2026, 9:58 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #3

Roy's Secret Service

To my knowledge, it has always been like this.

fix: https://staredit.net/sc1db/file/5168/




Feb 21 2026, 3:15 am NimoStar Post #4



Oh, thank you.

So barring the error appearing in a patch or the expansion it was always like this?

Well maybe it truly wasn't noticeable in an old CRT monitor and 256 color mode..



Ultimate StarCraft: Age of Darkness stand-alone no-cd download (no false positives)

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: @:@