Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Make a new unit .GRP
Make a new unit .GRP
Nov 1 2021, 3:07 am
By: Hoangquan123  

Nov 1 2021, 3:07 am Hoangquan123 Post #1



I need a help about a new building unit
it always errors, and I can't import new unit ".bmp" to ".grp" by 3 software: Photoshop, GRPEdit and PyGRP
I make a new unit by a new bitmap ".bmp"
Step 1:
I download a new unit in "Starcraft 1 File" and import Photoshop, I choose this image by mode: GRB Color, 8 bits channel (picture 1)
Step 2:
I fix this image by Photoshop, then I save as new image with a file ".bmp" (picture 2)
Step 3:
Import this new image ".bmp" into GRP Edit to convert a new file ".grp" (picture 3). Then I complete this step 3 (picture 4)
Step 4:
Import this new file image ".grp" into PYGRP, this color is error (picture 5)!!!
Why was the color of buiding errored ? I can't fix it. I wonder four step, which step was failed ?
Thanks for your helping !

Attachments:
image_2021-11-01_095318.png
Hits: 12 Size: 77.69kb
image_2021-11-01_095634.png
Hits: 6 Size: 109.27kb
image_2021-11-01_095848.png
Hits: 3 Size: 128.91kb
image_2021-11-01_100042.png
Hits: 4 Size: 43.52kb
image_2021-11-01_100656.png
Hits: 8 Size: 22.97kb



None.

Nov 1 2021, 7:09 am UndeadStar Post #2



In image 5, you selected "terrain palette" instead of "unit palette".




Nov 1 2021, 4:19 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #3

Roy's Secret Service

On step 2 you have to convert the image to "Indexed Color" mode before saving it, using the starcraft in-game palette (usually named "gamebasic" or "units").




Nov 3 2021, 6:19 am Hoangquan123 Post #4



On step 2 you have to convert the image to "Indexed Color" mode before saving it, using the starcraft in-game palette (usually named "gamebasic" or "units").

Thanks, I don't know how to take the color in-game palette, and how to import this color palette in Photoshop, please teach me two problems, sir ?



None.

Nov 3 2021, 6:22 am Hoangquan123 Post #5



Quote from UndeadStar
In image 5, you selected "terrain palette" instead of "unit palette".

Ok, but I have a problem in step 2, I can't find the color in-game palate, could you show me this palate color: 8bits 256 color in-game where are they ?



None.

Nov 3 2021, 8:17 am UndeadStar Post #6



If you used PyGRP, you should be able to find a "Palettes" subfolder where you installed it, I guess that's where you will find what you need.
I'm not a graphics modder, so I don't really know that field of work.

edit: I thought of something else: maybe one of your tools got the way to extract the palette from an existing unit (since they should all use the same) ?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 3 2021, 10:20 am by UndeadStar.




Nov 3 2021, 4:44 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #7

Roy's Secret Service

Quote from Hoangquan123
Thanks, I don't know how to take the color in-game palette, and how to import this color palette in Photoshop, please teach me two problems, sir ?
Easiest way would be to open the original bmp image you downloaded, and going to Image > Mode > Color Table, and saving the palette. You can then load it when you convert your edited image to indexed.

You can also load Units.pal from the PyMS files. The extensions are PAL but they are raw palette data like ACT and can be opened by Photoshop.




Nov 3 2021, 11:21 pm Hoangquan123 Post #8



Sorry sir, I can't import Units.pal to Photoshop. Could you know how to import them to this software, pls ?

Attachments:
image_2021-11-04_062029.png
Hits: 0 Size: 14.15kb
image_2021-11-04_062046.png
Hits: 0 Size: 54.29kb
image_2021-11-04_062126.png
Hits: 0 Size: 30.68kb



None.

Nov 4 2021, 12:15 am Hoangquan123 Post #9



Quote from Hoangquan123
Thanks, I don't know how to take the color in-game palette, and how to import this color palette in Photoshop, please teach me two problems, sir ?
Easiest way would be to open the original bmp image you downloaded, and going to Image > Mode > Color Table, and saving the palette. You can then load it when you convert your edited image to indexed.

You can also load Units.pal from the PyMS files. The extensions are PAL but they are raw palette data like ACT and can be opened by Photoshop.

I found 3 file ".pal", but I not sure them correctly
I can't import Table Color ".pal" to Photoshop, can you help me ?
This is my video, which step was I wrong ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNiNEiAKVTM



None.

Nov 4 2021, 1:12 am DarkenedFantasies Post #10

Roy's Secret Service

The PyMS palette files have a .pal extension but they're identical to .act files. Open it as a "Color Table (ACT)" file, either by renaming the file from "units.pal" to "units.act" or typing the file name manually. When you open it as a "Microsoft Palette (PAL)" option, it's looking for a RIFF header, which doesn't exist in the pal file you're trying to open.




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[2026-10-09. : 12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Roy, NudeRaider