Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Adding basic Terrain causes map crash
Adding basic Terrain causes map crash
Oct 17 2021, 1:38 am
By: Laganater  

Oct 17 2021, 1:38 am Laganater Post #1



Hey, I recently found a SC Brood war UMS RPG I was working on like 15 years ago on an old cpu hard drive. With remastered out(and SCM draft 2 updates since I played) I decided to try and finish what I started. I've encountered so many problems along the way and come up with creative ways to solve them. One problem I keep running into is String maximum. Basically my map has too many strings, and I found out that using "comments" inside a trigger (to organize your triggers or quickly understand what they do) uses strings. New triggers also seem to use strings. So I'm solving the maximum string issue by removing "comment" organization from my map, however I don't have too many triggers with comments left so I may hit a maximum there soon. It's also become a nightmare finding, and fixing certain triggers because of this.

Question-Any ideas on how to clear up unnecessary strings?

The string issue isn't my main problem because I can still "work" on the map slowly with it. The real issue I'm having is with terrain addition. I want to add a final town to my RPG but if I try to add any terrain to the bottom section, even basic, the map will not load and I'm moved to the starcraft opening screen with an error message popping up: "The map could not be loaded because it contained too many obstructions. Try widening corridors and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem."
When I found the map its dimensions were 192x192. Since finding it this year, I resized it (Scenario -> Map dimensions -> 256x256). After the resize the map still loaded up and gained a bunch of water space to the right side and bottom side. I've since done lots of terrain work on the additional right side with no issues.

Question: Does anyone know why my map is crashing when I add basic terrain like high dirt to the bottom quarter section of my map?

I think I attached some screenshotted paint files to better explain my problem. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-G

Attachments:
Terrain issue 1- Working Map.png
Hits: 0 Size: 5560.24kb
Terrain issue 2- Broken map.png
Hits: 3 Size: 4859.32kb
Terrain issue 3- Error message.png
Hits: 2 Size: 3930.16kb



None.

Oct 17 2021, 9:37 am Nekron Post #2



The second issue is because there are too many pathfinding regions, you can preview them in SCMDraft. Try making less complicated terrain or removing some doodads with collision.




Oct 17 2021, 8:06 pm Laganater Post #3



@Nekron Ohhhh thanks so much, I didn't know about the pathfinding preview. Seems I found what was causing it. I had large area with only 2 types of 1x1 square tiles (temple & mud) to make a checkerboard look. Worked fine in-game and enemy spawns made it through the region no problem, but when I looked at the pathfinder regions for that area, there was like 30 green lines for every path where there'd normally only be one. Changed them all to mud and the map loaded again! :D

Cheers!
-G



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: @:@