Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Elegant way to move from GPTP (VS2008) to GPTP (VS2019)
Elegant way to move from GPTP (VS2008) to GPTP (VS2019)
Aug 16 2021, 1:34 pm
By: Netbek  

Aug 16 2021, 1:34 pm Netbek Post #1



I use the "General-Plugin-Template-Project" (GPTP) for my mod. GPTP has 2 versions. One for Visual Studio 2008 (older), one for Visual Studio 2019 (newer).
I used to work with the old version and VS2008. Now I am moving to the new version and VS2019 because it allows more modifications.

Is there an elegant way to move all the changes that I made to the old version of GPTP into the new one, or will I have to copy over the code blocks "by hand"?




Aug 17 2021, 3:41 pm UndeadStar Post #2



It depends how you're programming.
If it were me trying to port code from the old version to the new, I think I would use WinMerge (or another diff files system) to see a comparison of base 2008 files and modded 2008 files, then copy the blocks that are marked as changed in the 2019 corresponding code, fine-tuning it as necessary.

Note that it is also possible to take most of the code of the 2019 version to bring it to the 2008 (there's no code incompatible with a specific version of visual studio), the only real issue are the project files (need to attach new files, detach files that got removed, deal with files that moved around).

The biggest complication may be with code/files that moved around.




Aug 17 2021, 5:02 pm Netbek Post #3



Well, I now carried over everything "by hand". It wasn't as much of a chore as I had feared, though it took me an evening. Luckily, the new code is very similar to the old one. Most of my "own" codeblocks I could copy over unchanged. Thank you!




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[2026-10-09. : 12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Roy, NudeRaider