Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: UI - Text crawl works, but can't handle multiple lines of te
UI - Text crawl works, but can't handle multiple lines of te
Mar 6 2015, 9:23 pm
By: enkei  

Mar 6 2015, 9:23 pm enkei Post #1



Hey there,

I'm trying to open up my map with a short cinematic, kind-of like how StarCraft II single player handles their games. The title of the text crawl looks great, and the text gets typed in brilliantly (with sound and all). However, after about 50-60 characters when the text should drop to the next line, it just cuts off. You can hear the text still being typed, but the game does not display it. I've heard mention of using /n, which simulates the ENTER key being pressed. /n just seems to actually insert an "/n" into your in-game text. I can't see how I can get this to work - it almost seems broken, considering how non-intuitive it is.

Also, apparently there's an in-your-face, graphical three-second countdown timer as soon as the game initializes if you're using text crawl. I can't seem to make that go away. Any help is appreciated!!



None.

Mar 6 2015, 10:46 pm Sand Wraith Post #2



Contrast "/n" with "\n". You likely need the backslash "\" (Shift+\ is |, not ?), if that is the syntax SC2 uses.




Mar 14 2015, 11:54 am Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

A linebreak in text is done via <n/>. Or you just hit enter in the text editing dialog.

The text crawl does not support more text than it can display, it seems. So, it can display approximately 59 characters.

So, you could either use multiple text crawls after another,
or you are using a dialog with a label with a text writeout duration. But a label won't be able to glow as nice as the text crawl.

Quote
Also, apparently there's an in-your-face, graphical three-second countdown timer as soon as the game initializes if you're using text crawl. I can't seem to make that go away. Any help is appreciated!!

Map -> Options -> is "Show game start countdown" checked? If yes, disable it.




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: lifebot, Roy