Laptop Gift
Nov 21 2014, 7:36 pm
By: Vrael  

Nov 21 2014, 7:36 pm Vrael Post #1



Hi SEN

So, looking to buy a laptop for my girl for Christmas. She currently has an old piece of junk that takes about 3 years to boot up and 12 minutes to refresh the screen every time you move the mouse.

I'm looking at the low end of the spectrum since I don't have a huge budget, maybe ~500 or less. I'm really not worried about performance, it looks like I can get an i5 in the sub-500 range without having to buy refurbished:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%204019%20600004344%204020%20600003988%20600004343&IsNodeId=1&name=14%22%20-%2014.5%22

However, I'm happy if you guys have better ideas, and what I'm really looking for is to avoid pitfalls. I just want a nice clean snappy machine for her, it doesn't have to run any super high framerate games or anything, but I just want everything to -JUST WORK-, if you know what I mean. I don't want the wireless card to crap out or the screen to look like absolute shit out of the box, or the whole system to die in 5 days or something.

Ideas?


P.S. Someday I'll actually buy a nice machine for myself... someday...



None.

Nov 21 2014, 10:27 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Are you okay with a 1366x768 screen resolution, a dual-core processor, and 4GB of RAM? If so, that price will be easy to hit (as your link demonstrates).

Black Friday/Cyber Monday is coming up in a week, and that's a good time to buy a cheap laptop. Let me know your minimum specs and I'll post deals here as they come up.




Nov 22 2014, 1:17 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Vrael
without having to buy refurbished
That would actually not be the worst idea. If it's a business model it'll be better built and thus longer lasting, have better components (strong WiFi signal, etc.) and be configured as a business machine (no pointless gaming gimmicks or overpowered GPU draining the battery) while still being affordable.

Can't help you with deals in the US, but this German dealer has some sweet Notebooks for under 300 Euros:
http://www.deallx.de/online/deal/robustes-notebook-dell-e6410-latitude,-intel-560m-core-i5-2x2667-mhz,-14.1-wide,-4-gb-ram,-250-gb,-dvdrw,-lan,-wlan,-win7pro64,-1.-oder-2.-wahl,-aufbereitete-technik,-12-monate-gew%C3%A4hr,-statt-1490.00-%E2%82%AC-fr%C3%BCherer-uvp-f%C3%BCr-ab-259.99-%E2%82%AC-inkl.-versand
A few days back they had a Sandy Bridge based i5 Notebook from Fujitsu (LIFEBOOK E781) for like 360 Euros, which was my favorite deal there yet since I have a E780 and I'm quite pleased.

So if you have similar sites in the US it might be worth a look.




Nov 26 2014, 10:49 pm Sand Wraith Post #4



Hey OP, consider just formatting the machine and putting a light-weight distro of Linux on it. I'm using Lubuntu and it's p killer. I heard Crunchbag is p sick too (but Lubuntu is more newbie-friendly if you want something closer to Windows, also its software centre is more likely to put software shortcuts in sensible places automatically).

I still have trouble on 10+ tabs sometimes, but considering that I'm running on an Intel Atom inside a netbook that's like 4+ years old, it's p great.




Dec 3 2014, 9:22 pm Vrael Post #5



For anyone who might care I ended up getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317598&cm_re=lenovo_G50-_-34-317-598-_-Product

Was on sale for $500 when I nabbed it Cyber Monday. Just got it today, looks like its going to accomplish everything I wanted. Windows 8 is fucking annoying though, might have to wipe it and put 7 on instead. But I'll see what my lady friend wants done with it first.



None.

Dec 3 2014, 9:23 pm Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Why not throw 8.1 on there? It allows for more customization to make it feel like Windows 7.




Dec 3 2014, 11:33 pm Roy Post #7

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Or put the Windows 10 Technical Preview on it. It's like a modern version of Windows 7.




Dec 3 2014, 11:39 pm ShadowFlare Post #8



Dem0n: It actually is Windows 8.1.

If having that start screen instead of the start menu is an issue, you could try StartIsBack or ClassicShell.



None.

Dec 5 2014, 3:28 am Sand Wraith Post #9



I heard Windows 10 will be free for personal use.

I'm more interested in what you did with the old machine. Gutted its monitor perhaps?




Dec 5 2014, 4:32 pm Vrael Post #10



It's not Christmas yet, so nothing yet.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[06:02 am]
Donald -- Samase
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Ultraviolet