Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Why does Blizzard have weekly downtime??
Why does Blizzard have weekly downtime??
Jul 22 2014, 10:31 am
By: Oh_Man  

Jul 22 2014, 10:31 am Oh_Man Post #1

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Every Tuesday night (for me in Australia) Blizzard goes down for maintenance or some bullshit. From what I can remember this used to be because of WoW and maintaining all the servers or whatever.

But now with Battlenet ap, all games are integrated into it (Hearthstone, Diablo, Starcraft, HOTS and WoW). And the entire thing goes down every Tues night for several hours!! WHY?!?

As far as I know - no other games company has this weekly downtime. Does anyone know why from a tech perspective, or have any ideas?




Jul 22 2014, 11:18 am Esponeo Post #2



Blizzard's servers aren't mirrored. They're a bunch of lazy dumbfucks. So they're stuck taking them all down in order to apply security patches, hardware upgrades, stability testing, etc.



None.

Jul 22 2014, 7:52 pm Zycorax Post #3

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

EVE Online has a daily downtime to do server maintenance, though it usually lasts for less than twenty minutes. These also happen to be in the middle of aussie prime time, which sort of makes sense as there's only one server and this is when there's the least people online.




Jul 23 2014, 10:26 am Oh_Man Post #4

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Having mirrored servers is expensive as fck though, right??




Jul 23 2014, 11:19 am NudeRaider Post #5

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

It's a little more than double as expensive as one server (redunant hardware and a little work to set it up)
Server farms for an online game should be pretty expensive though. I'd estimate low 6 digit figures.




Jul 23 2014, 1:50 pm Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

lol as if they don't have the money for mirrored servers.




Jul 23 2014, 3:09 pm DevliN Post #7

Woah

That definitely seems to be the common misconception. I used to think that way as well, but then I started to wonder how all the other games' development is paid for since they theoretically rely on box sales. And then what pays for the enormous staff supporting all of their games. I'm sure they're making a ton from WoW (though probably not as much as they once were), but WoW is probably funding all of Blizzard.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Jul 23 2014, 3:23 pm Roy Post #8

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

They might not have a build engineering team experienced with seamless server migration (which is not a trivial task for products with constant activity: you have to handle migrating users on the old servers with the new database, for example), and don't want to invest in something that likely isn't costing them money right now and wouldn't be saving them money in the future. Though this would be surprising, considering WoW.

Or they silo their hardware spending by game, meaning the moneymaker (WoW) is going to get new servers before any other game. Likewise, their build engineers could all be allocated to WoW, and the architecture for downtime-free data migration is not in place and will not be prioritized for SC2 or other individual games. Combining server maintenance is also easier than maintaining them all separately, and in software engineering, 'easier' means 'cheaper.'

I'm more surprised that they're doing weekly updates for their servers. What are they constantly changing with such urgency that cannot be accomplished via patching?




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[06:02 am]
Donald -- Samase
[2026-10-09. : 2:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[2026-10-09. : 2:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[2026-10-09. : 2:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[2026-10-09. : 2:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[2026-10-09. : 1:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[2026-10-09. : 1:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[2026-10-09. : 1:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[2026-10-09. : 1:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry, Butch