Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Smoke Grenade Ability
Smoke Grenade Ability
Jul 18 2013, 12:05 am
By: GoGo SpaceMan  

Jul 18 2013, 12:05 am GoGo SpaceMan Post #1



After spending an hour and a half experimenting with the Data Editor to create such an ability, I was left with a huge failure.

Basically, the ability works like Jim Raynor's "Grenade Toss" but instead of doing damage on impact, it'll create a Viper's "Disabling Cloud" in the area of impact.

What I need is some guidance on how I could go about doing this. I am basically a beginner and have tried and failed.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!



None.

Jul 18 2013, 6:12 am TF- Post #2

🤙🏾

Look at the grenade ability until you find its Launch Missile effect, check the fields and edit the effect in the Impact Effect field. It should be something like Grenade Toss (Search Area) and you'll want to replace it with something like Disabling Cloud (Create Persistent).



🤙🏾

Jul 18 2013, 4:03 pm Devourer Post #3

Hello

TF- is right.
I just gave it a shot and it worked perfectly, however, to make it easier to find, I have an image for you which shows you how to do it.
Mind the red boxes and the numbers nearby, they sort of are a manual on what to do first.


I've attached the map.

Attachments:
raynor.SC2Map
Hits: 1 Size: 24.32kb



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jul 18 2013, 11:18 pm GoGo SpaceMan Post #4



Yeah, I guess my entire problem was the fact that I duplicated the entire Blinding Cloud ability (With the Search, Set, Apply, etc) and then tried to create a NEW grenade toss ability and after trying to put it together, it just throws this big half-sphere thing (to show that it couldn't create the actor for the grenade) and then nothing even happened when the grenade hit the target area.

But since I'm not even going to use the Grenade Toss ability itself, I guess it'd be easy to just edit its name and effect and give it to my unit.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Works like a charm! Thanks again guys!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 18 2013, 11:42 pm by GoGo SpaceMan.



None.

Jul 18 2013, 11:42 pm Devourer Post #5

Hello

Just a small hint for the future: Whenever duplicating an unit (or ability which is linked to visual aspects, like a model or something), always duplicate the actors as well.
To be clearer: when duplicating e.g. a hero, a smaller window pops up with a list of things that can be checked. Check the "Actors" section along with basically anything that you are planning on editing.

The sphere you have seen is what happens when you duplicate an unit/ability/whatsoever but do not duplicate the actor as well.




Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Symmetry