Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Managing cliff styles (up to 4)
Managing cliff styles (up to 4)
Jul 14 2012, 10:16 pm
By: Dabbu  

Jul 14 2012, 10:16 pm Dabbu Post #1




Typical SC2 terrains usually have 2 cliff styles.
It's possible to use up to 4 styles through modifying the Terrain-Texture-Set.




To easily edit the current TTS just go to the Top Menu -> Map -> Map Textures.



This will open up the Map Properties dialog to the texture tab.
note: This dialog is where you have the option to convert (or update) the current terrain. Keep in mind if you use this option and go from more to less cliff styles, extra cliff work may be lost.
From here click the "Modify" button.



Now you should see the data editor open to exactly the current TTS.
In the properties list on the right panel look for "cliffs" and edit it (double-click or right-click->Modify Value).



A dialog allows you to add and modify up to 4 styles (it will not update the cliff styles in the actual editor right away).



-- Now do A or B --

A: back in the Map Textures dialog, click the "Reset to Defaults" and then "OK".
If you don't click "Reset to Defaults" or change the terrain drop list selection the dialog thinks nothing has changed (even though the TTS may be modified).



B: Cancel out of the Map Properties dialog window, save and re-open the map.
This may work depending on what you've changed and already placed, but you should avoid doing this as it could lock up new textures and cliff styles from being place-able


In the terrain cliff edit layer you should see the new styles.
Also don't forget you can merge cliffs from Top Menu -> Tools -> Brush -> Cliff Merging





The smallest terrain vertex may reserve texture/cliff info.
Once a cliff style has been used on the map the extra data will be part of the map and loaded in-game. It's hard to just brush all of it out.
So if you do not use a cliff style, it's best to remove it from the TTS altogether and also use the convert terrain option.


note: The attached map is unable to place 4 of the terrain textures defined in its TTS because 4 others were used from another tile set, then swapped back to the originals without actually converting the terrain set.
That's what can happen to the map if you use option B, it's essentially "broken" until the convert terrains option is used.




Attachments:
overload-textures-cliff.SC2Map
Hits: 1 Size: 45.76kb

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jul 19 2012, 1:26 am by Dabbu.



None.

Jul 14 2012, 11:14 pm Ahli Post #2

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

In the arcade beta you can just add 4 cliff levels and it works then. You only need to restart the terrain module to refresh the displayed buttons.
Your map isn't compatible for that. Maybe it is, if you recover the correct cliff entries I guess because it isn't saved.

So, step up to 1.5 and it works without problems.

edit: It might be possible to downgrade the map. I didn't test it, but that might be possible.




Jul 15 2012, 12:14 am Dabbu Post #3



Tutorial updated, should make more sense now.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 15 2012, 7:52 pm by Dabbu.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet