Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Caves + open terf mixed tile-sets?
Caves + open terf mixed tile-sets?
Jun 29 2012, 3:30 pm
By: Dabbu  

Jun 29 2012, 3:30 pm Dabbu Post #1



I'd like to have areas that look like caves, but the tile-set and skybox can mess with that illusion on a tile-set designed for open terrain.
The issue is the global lighting that that casts shadows inside the cave making it look like there is no ceiling.
For maps where the player can free-look, the sky-box could be an issue as well.

For custom cameras: aside from the angles / field of view / target / etc. can they ignore light source settings, perhaps through triggers? (and maybe change sky box per camera)?
Would be nice to create a deep cave ambiance using tricks like this.

If camera tricks are not possible, perhaps I could modify the "xxx_nomal.dds" terrain texture so that it would reflect light differently and appear more like an indoor terrain?

But probably the best / easiest way is to just use extra high raised terrain around the cave area which will cast a shadow and make that area look dark everywhere.

Any suggestions?
( I'll do some tests and put up screen shots )

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 29 2012, 8:03 pm by Dabbu.



None.

Jul 12 2012, 10:33 pm IskatuMesk Post #2

Lord of the Locker Room

You can change the light settings for the map to reduce them entirely or place the sun under the ground and cast no shadows I believe.



Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jul 15 2012, 7:59 pm Dabbu Post #3



That would work, but sadly it's a global setting... it would effect all players even if they are out of the cave.
It's too bad lighting is limited to the Terrain Texture Set and not also applicable to individual cameras.



None.

Jul 15 2012, 11:54 pm IskatuMesk Post #4

Lord of the Locker Room

Ah, you wanted per-player lighting. Yeah, I don't really know about that. Editing the normal maps won't effect the shadows, just the way the normal lighting works on textures (shadows are different, since they are dynamic based on meshes).

If you have a falloff the skybox vanishes from my tests back in early release, not sure if they fixed that.



Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jul 16 2012, 12:09 am Dabbu Post #5



The Falloff should work for background ( I guess shadows too )
I had that happen today and didn't realize it was happening. Was changing the map backgrounds and I could not see them in game because I was applying a camera via triggers at the start of the map and forgot about it... drove me nuts for hours.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor