Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Creating a Skill shot?
Creating a Skill shot?
Jan 15 2012, 8:43 am
By: wakkwakk  

Jan 15 2012, 8:43 am wakkwakk Post #1



First time post in the StarEdit forums..

I'm fairly new to the SC editor and could really use some help. Do you guys have resources or advice for a beginner to be able to make a skill shot based attack? Something simliar too the skill shot in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qibb3x2veLg.

Thanks in advance, I really need the help.



None.

Jan 15 2012, 4:18 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Welcome to SEN!

There's a really nice tutorial on creating a shock-wave ability here: http://rileystarcraft.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-create-shockwave.html

The only thing you'd want to change from it is how it handles damage. I would be lazy and just make a trigger checking if it collides with an enemy and detonates on the unit if it does.




Jan 15 2012, 4:25 pm DevliN Post #3

Woah

If the ability is missile-based, you can also just attach the Suicide effect to it so it explodes on impact.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Jan 15 2012, 4:49 pm Ahli Post #4

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

To let a missile fly into a direction, you need to create a persistent effect and launch the missile to a point with an offset.

To hit something on contact, you need to give the missile a behavior that periodically executes a search effect searching for enemies.

I've made an example for that and attached it to this post.

You could extend it to explode on cliff level changes, but I've never done that.

Attachments:
skillshotTest.SC2Map
Hits: 14 Size: 12.18kb




Jan 15 2012, 5:22 pm Aniketos Post #5



Quote from Ahli
To let a missile fly into a direction, you need to create a persistent effect and launch the missile to a point with an offset.

To hit something on contact, you need to give the missile a behavior that periodically executes a search effect searching for enemies.

I've made an example for that and attached it to this post.

You could extend it to explode on cliff level changes, but I've never done that.

That's interesting. We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?



None.

Jan 15 2012, 5:54 pm Ahli Post #6

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Aniketos
We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?
What do you mean with mouse over skill shot?
-> Projectile flying to target point instead of flying into a direction?




Jan 15 2012, 7:20 pm Aniketos Post #7



Quote from Ahli
Quote from Aniketos
We're looking to create a skill shot that lands where you mouse over. We may actually create a minimum range to some of the shots within our game eventually but for right now we're just looking to create a simple mouse over skill shot. How would we go about creating that?
What do you mean with mouse over skill shot?
-> Projectile flying to target point instead of flying into a direction?

The projectile moves to where my cursor is located



None.

Jan 15 2012, 8:31 pm Ahli Post #8

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Like infestor's infested terran eggs?
Then that's a simple "effect - target" ability that has a launch effect in the ability.

If the missile should follow the mouse during flying time, that's a lot harder because you either need to click all the time or you need to track mouse movement with triggers.




Jan 17 2012, 6:50 pm DevliN Post #9

Woah

Quote from Ahli
or you need to track mouse movement with triggers.
To add on to this, essentially you'd have to figure out a system that tracks your cursor's position on the screen (which perhaps someone has done already) and then coincide a trigger that orders the missile to move to that position. I'm not sure how trigger lag or rapid movement of the cursor will mess the idea up, though.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor