Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Reproducing SC1's Shield
Reproducing SC1's Shield
Dec 9 2011, 2:04 am
By: payne  

Dec 9 2011, 2:04 am payne Post #1

:payne:

I am trying to reproduce the way shield used to work in sc1: if the unit is hit before its regeneration delay is completed, the delay is reset to 0.

Anyone knows how I could achieve that in the Data Editor? I've tried messing with the Regen. Delay, Regen. Rate, abd Period of attack, but it doesn't seems to work. :(

In my case, I want the Probe to have 1 Shield which would act kind of like an armor preventing a random attack from the opponent. I really want the Probe to lose some of its 5 Hit Points only when there is a persistent/continuous attack from the enemy (so either more than 1 unit attacking at a time, or 1 unit attacking without interruption).
The only units that can damage the unit are Photon Cannons, Zealots, and Probes. I also do not want the Probe to lose more than 1 HP per attack per unit.



None.

Dec 9 2011, 2:15 am Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from payne
I am trying to reproduce the way shield used to work in sc1: if the unit is hit before its regeneration delay is completed, the delay is reset to 0.
Don't shields in SC2 already have that effect? Shields don't regenerate while that unit is being attacked. In fact, if I recall correctly, SC1's shields regenerated at a constant rate, regardless of whether or not the unit is in combat (same with Zerg health), but what you are describing more closely resembles the current SC2 implementation.

Quote from payne
In my case, I want the Probe to have 1 Shield which would act kind of like an armor preventing a random attack from the opponent. I really want the Probe to lose some of its 5 Hit Points only when there is a persistent/continuous attack from the enemy (so either more than 1 unit attacking at a time, or 1 unit attacking without interruption).
Do you absolutely need to use shields for this case, are you looking simply for a system where the Probe only loses health if it's under continuous attack?




Dec 9 2011, 2:46 am payne Post #3

:payne:

Quote from Roy
Quote from payne
I am trying to reproduce the way shield used to work in sc1: if the unit is hit before its regeneration delay is completed, the delay is reset to 0.
Don't shields in SC2 already have that effect? Shields don't regenerate while that unit is being attacked. In fact, if I recall correctly, SC1's shields regenerated at a constant rate, regardless of whether or not the unit is in combat (same with Zerg health), but what you are describing more closely resembles the current SC2 implementation.

EDIT:
Actually, you're probably right. I've just noticed my error: I had "1" Armor, which is why it took two hits of 1 Damage to actually deal 1 damage even though the shield was down.

Sorry for that stupid error. ;o

... I should finish this project very soon as it's far from being big. I hope you'll enjoy it. ;)
To the curious, there are enough hints on SEN that will let you guess the map.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 9 2011, 3:06 am by payne.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: City, sarahtaylor