Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Spending "attribute" points
Spending "attribute" points
Oct 4 2011, 1:16 am
By: The_UrChai  

Oct 4 2011, 1:16 am The_UrChai Post #1



I'm making a game with heroes and want players to be able to spend skill points on certain stats such as strength and magic.
I need them to be able to have skill points awarded every level and possibly some cool level up effects on the unit.
I then need 4 buttons for them to upgrade theses stats using a submenu to store them in.
I need this to be explained to me in a very simple step-by-step fashion as I have next to no idea what i'm doing.

I'll add all my questions about abilities here cuz a good map can't be made from copy pasted abilities.

They will only have 1 hero unit so you could simplify it by making the attribute points terrazine or something.
I heard you could use triggers to detect a dummy ability then have a buff be applied to the unit. It wasn't explained much beyond that.



None.

Oct 4 2011, 1:22 am DevliN Post #2

Woah

Quote
I'm making a game with heroes and want players to be able to spend skill points on certain stats such as strength and magic.
http://www.galaxywiki.net/Attributes_(Stat_Boosts) would be a good starting point. That article gives you a basic idea of how Attributes in StarCraft 2 work.

Quote
I need them to be able to have skill points awarded every level and possibly some cool level up effects on the unit.
For help with level up effects, check out http://www.galaxywiki.net/Level_Up_Effect. To add spendable skill points when the hero levels up, that can be set in the Veterancy that you have to create for the hero. http://www.galaxywiki.net/Leveling_units can help with that.

Quote
I then need 4 buttons for them to upgrade theses stats using a submenu to store them in.
What do you mean you want a submenu to store the stats? Or do you mean you want 4 buttons on a submenu to raise them? If the latter, then you need to create 1 button for each Attribute that would be raised, and then create an ability to tie that button to the Attribute.

Quote
I'll add all my questions about abilities here cuz a good map can't be made from copy pasted abilities.
Technically this is true, but you should be able to learn how to create abilities by checking out tutorials that are out there. At the core, every ability is structured similarly in SC2.

Quote
They will only have 1 hero unit so you could simplify it by making the attribute points terrazine or something.
No, you're thinking in terms of the limitations of SC1. In SC2, they have Attributes built in to the game.

Quote
I heard you could use triggers to detect a dummy ability then have a buff be applied to the unit. It wasn't explained much beyond that.
Yes, though in most cases this is unnecessary and the Trigger lag could be detrimental. You're better off doing it all in the Data Editor.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 4 2011, 1:31 am by DevliN.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: City, sarahtaylor