Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Terrain Help
Terrain Help
Jul 30 2011, 12:35 am
By: ScaleMatrix  

Jul 30 2011, 12:35 am ScaleMatrix Post #1



After editting out several bugs and whatnot in my recent map. I went back to another thing someone had posted earlier about the terrain being flat and quite plain. I took the advice into thought before working on it today. I know it problely looks pretty bad and chopy, but I don't want the map terrain to be hindering to movesets for Characters or for people themselves when they battle. I split the Arena up into 4 individual points of interest. As a matter of fact, something unintended happened and one of the zones acually restricts a characters move from being placed in the zone, which has stragetic advantages. But what I want to know, Is there anyways I can make this a bit better without damaging Arena Gameplay?

Molten Rock Zone


Desolate Plains Zone


Mechnical Junkyard Zone


Anicent Forest Zone


Midsection Between Worlds




None.

Jul 30 2011, 4:53 am xAngelSpiritx Post #2

eternal lurker

The placement of the sprites/doodads/whatever looks messy. It's not helped by the fact that most of the sprites you're using don't mix well with the terrain, and have sharp, contrasting edges.

As far as making it more aesthetically appealing goes, just try and add diversity to your arenas. Look at the "Brush Project" and "Visual Effects List" topics (they're stickies in this forum) and see if you can pull something from them and add it onto your map.

Also, I understand that you're trying to go for a different theme for each area, but honestly, nobody will really care what the areas are called. If your map has good gameplay, then the players won't notice a small detail like the theme of a specific spot. Keeping this in mind, I would recommend you go ahead and mix up your terrain; even random patches of isometric terrain placed all over the map looks better than just a flat rectangle.



None.

Jul 30 2011, 4:59 am Dem0n Post #3

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I don't really see how each area has a strategic advantage. It's not like SC2 where zerg units move faster on creep or anything. I recommend using isom terrain inside the area and then cutting the borders straight with square water. You can blend with isom and looks better. Having a flat square area with some terrain type looks okay, but when you have multiple terrains within an area, it just looks tacky. Make it isom and have it blend. Trust me; it'll look much better.




Jul 30 2011, 6:10 am DevliN Post #4

Woah

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
I don't really see how each area has a strategic advantage. It's not like SC2 where zerg units move faster on creep or anything. I recommend using isom terrain inside the area and then cutting the borders straight with square water. You can blend with isom and looks better. Having a flat square area with some terrain type looks okay, but when you have multiple terrains within an area, it just looks tacky. Make it isom and have it blend. Trust me; it'll look much better.
This, definitely. Right now it looks like a large flat open space, and those doodads look extremely out of place. If you want it to be all on the same level, it would still help to have some cliffs around the edges or in the center or something, just to break it up a bit.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Jul 30 2011, 4:17 pm ScaleMatrix Post #5



I changed the terrain to the Isometric Blend idea you where talking about. And added a center cliff for the first spawn area. It does look better, but oddly enough when I play ingame I feel like my screens closer to the ground...

Edit: Woops, Thanks lol.

Isometric(Without the Grid)


Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 30 2011, 4:37 pm by ScaleMatrix.



None.

Jul 30 2011, 4:27 pm lil-Inferno Post #6

Just here for the pie

Don't take screenshots with the grid on.




Jul 30 2011, 5:19 pm Dem0n Post #7

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You want your doodads to be illegally placed like that? :crazy: Ewwwww.

And of course it's closer when you actually play. Scmdrat is zoomed further out than the actual Starcraft window.




Jul 30 2011, 5:36 pm ScaleMatrix Post #8



Illegally placed? Im guessing that has to do with the center doodad



None.

Jul 30 2011, 5:55 pm Roy Post #9

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
And of course it's closer when you actually play. Scmdraft is zoomed further out than the actual StarCraft window.
This is actually based on screen resolution. Since almost nobody runs near 640x400 anymore, having SCMDraft maximized is going to show more than what SC will.

On that note, just remember that SC's screen size is 20x12 tiles. The two bottom tiles are almost completely covered by the UI, though, so to fit something completely on the screen, it needs to be within a 20x10 tile area.

Quote from ScaleMatrix
Illegally placed? I'm guessing that has to do with the center doodad
Demonslayer is referring to the "ugly" terrain. Do you see how it squarely cuts off the grass and ruins? For a smooth blend, you want to have dirt and high dirt around your ramps, and you want ruins around that ruin doodad.




Jul 30 2011, 6:08 pm ScaleMatrix Post #10



Ah ok then.

Here we go




None.

Oct 8 2011, 8:14 pm Tempz Post #11



Just sprites... really?

I see what your doing though; having no blockage for balance.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 9 2011, 12:58 am by Tempz.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob