Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Middle Earth Terrain
Middle Earth Terrain
Jul 4 2011, 7:05 pm
By: Dem0n  

Jul 4 2011, 7:05 pm Dem0n Post #1

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm making a Lord of the Rings diplo/risk-type map for that week-long contest, but I'm having a lot of trouble making the terrain. I've made the basic outline, but now I can't figure out how big each territory and mountain should be. Can someone help me? D:

Here's what I want to create:



Here's what I have:



The high ground is supposed some of the mountains (I'll try to make it stacked so it looks higher) and the grass is where a forest will be. Now, I still have no clue where to put all of the realms and stuff. D:

And here's how big I want each territory:



I only labeled those mountains near the top because they aren't part of any territory so I wanted to remind myself to include them, so I do want all the other mountains as well. ;o Can someone help me scale this thing properly? Whenever I try to put mountains in or something, I realize that I won't have enough room for everything else. I'll love you forever and give you all the minerals I have if you help. :cube: :inlove: :wub: :flowers:

Here's the map.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 5 2011, 12:28 am by Dem0nS1ayer.




Jul 4 2011, 7:31 pm Fisty Post #2



Not sure if any programs exist but an easy way to help with this would be to find a program that would create the image as a translucent overlay for your screen and go from there with a zoomed out editor. Otherwise, you don't need to be perfect, people are hardly going to cross-analyze your map with the real one (and who says that map is 100% accurate either :bleh: )



None.

Jul 5 2011, 12:22 am Dem0n Post #3

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ



Well that's what I have now. It's still so hard to make the territories accurate. :hurr: There's so many small areas that I have to include. :massimo:




Jul 9 2011, 5:38 pm Killer2121 Post #4



this map here has a very good outline of the middle earth terrain

Attachments:
LotR The March of Sauron1-1.scx
Hits: 4 Size: 310.27kb



None.

Jul 9 2011, 5:58 pm Dem0n Post #5

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

;o That is pretty accurate.. But don't worry, I figured out how to do it by myself! :D I just used SCPM to make a map of the map, and then I just used the border of the land in that map as a reference for my map (as shown above).




Jul 10 2011, 12:53 am Killer2121 Post #6



can you post it when your done?

it'd be tight to see the terrain your doing.



None.

Jul 10 2011, 2:10 am Dem0n Post #7

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ



That's basically the final product for terrain. All I'm going to do now is go back and add some doodads here and there and add some more grass/mud or something.

EDIT: Holy shit, that's a low-ass-res pic. Oh well. :P




Jul 10 2011, 2:49 am Killer2121 Post #8



you got the white mountains pass? it was a straight line above rivendale.

looks good so far anyways ^^



None.

Jul 11 2011, 1:04 am jjf28 Post #9

Cartography Artisan

nice :D mountains mby a little too easy to walk on?



TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jul 11 2011, 1:27 am Dem0n Post #10

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

They can only cross the mountains in three spots, and the rest of the mountain is blocked off. I didn't feel like trying to stack it and shit to make it realistic. I think it serves its purpose. ;o




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:43 am]
Symmetry -- I'm doing my best, damn it
[2026-9-28. : 4:46 pm]
Ultraviolet -- @:@
@:@ shouted: this community still going strong?
Still going.. strong is debatable though.
[2026-9-28. : 4:13 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- I can't believe this is really been around since 2003 but it does look classic and old asf still better than talking to kids on discord ranting about skibidi toilet and sexuality or whatever mental illness is going on in their heads
[2026-9-28. : 4:11 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Nigga how you ask is it still going strong when you get a text every 3 miles per hour or something
[2026-9-28. : 4:10 pm]
WeirdoX4857 -- Where is everybody
[2026-9-28. : 1:21 pm]
@:@ -- this community still going strong?
[2026-9-27. : 4:30 pm]
Oh_Man -- yeah, probs
[2026-9-27. : 3:11 pm]
NudeRaider -- I bet it just needs another training session against pros instead of only against itself and nobody will be able to stop it anymore.
[2026-9-27. : 3:09 pm]
NudeRaider -- Oh_Man
Oh_Man shouted: pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
so it can be beaten by a prepared pro, even in macro games, if only barely. the muta micro in particular seems really hard to handle for protoss ground though. In the open goons can't catch them, in the base they trip over buildings, it just instantly flies out of storms and they fly circles around archons. Mass cannons do work, but can't cover the whole map with it. Probably need mass corsair to counter and hope you can outmaneuver all the scourge.
[2026-9-27. : 2:14 am]
Oh_Man -- pluto vs pro gamer snow: https://youtu.be/NOXXpATkdZU
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: MobMob