Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Shoutbox Automatic Refresh
Shoutbox Automatic Refresh
Jun 28 2011, 2:45 am
By: Alzarath  

Jun 28 2011, 2:45 am Alzarath Post #1

Praetor

I'm sure anyone that keeps the shoutbox open in an extra tab notices that the shoutbox sometimes doesn't actually refresh at all times, it seems. For instance, sometimes I'd return, refresh the page, and find a few shouts that weren't shown before-hand. Any idea what's up with that? Is it SEN or is it my internets? (I doubt my internets, but not ruling out the possibility)



None.

Jun 28 2011, 2:48 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

It's been like that since I joined. Used to be worse.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 28 2011, 3:07 am Alzarath Post #3

Praetor

Also been like this for a long time for me, I just didn't think of bringing it up 'till today.



None.

Jun 28 2011, 3:29 am Roy Post #4

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I think it works on some type of periodic system, and isn't actually checking for new shouts. I don't use auto refresh anymore because I just refresh the whole page to simultaneously see any new posts.




Jun 28 2011, 3:49 am DavidJCobb Post #5



Quote from Roy
I think it works on some type of periodic system, and isn't actually checking for new shouts. I don't use auto refresh anymore because I just refresh the whole page to simultaneously see any new posts.
Well, it does check for new shouts, but it does so periodically. It runs an AJAX call at specified time intervals, just like anything on the web that "instantly" updates.

The problem could be either with the JavaScript that runs the AJAX call, or with the server-side code that queries the database after receiving the AJAX call. If the former, I should be able to provide a fix. If the latter, I'd guess it's a database caching error, but remember that I actually don't know a thing about server-side code.

Artanis, does your browser display any indication of a JavaScript error whenever this happens? I.e. entries in Firefox's Error Console, or the yellow warning icon in IE's statusbar? If so, please post the error details here. If it's a JS problem, I may be able to code a fix for Devlin to apply.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Ultraviolet, Mr.BurnLiquid, Symmetry