Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: [Solved] Validator area for persistent effect
[Solved] Validator area for persistent effect
May 31 2011, 10:56 pm
By: Ahli  

May 31 2011, 10:56 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

My Inferno spell uses a persistent effect to create a jumping flame. It moves using periodic offsets.

My problem is that the flame jumps through "walls". In my case the walls are units with the structure flag enabled.

I've made an "enum area" validator in the periodic validator field that counts the structures within a radius of a given point, but everything seems to refer to the point where the persistent effect has been created and not where its actual position is with the offset.

What am I doing wrong?
I've tried every point as source and final point in the validator, but I can't make it use the point with the offset... :(

I think I can workaround that with a persistent effect spawning a persistent effect spawning flame's search effect, but that looks like overkill.




Jun 1 2011, 1:54 am DevliN Post #2

Woah

Hmm without seeing the ability I'm not sure how it would work exactly. I imagine that to get the validator to refer to the point designated by the offset, you'd have to attach it to the search area effect that is created at the persistent effect's offset point. Or if you don't have a search area effect being created at each offset, add that and try it.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Jun 1 2011, 2:24 am Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.


^ it goes through the wall instead of detecting the wall, if the offset is there.


^ my persistent effect that uses the validator.


^ validator

The validator always checks @ the position where the persistent has been created instead of checking where the offset is.




Jun 1 2011, 5:38 am DevliN Post #4

Woah

Right, so what I was suggesting was that aaaInferno-PeriodicSet, include a Search Area effect that has the validator attached to it. Then, the validator will trigger at the location of that offset. I don't think that will stop the rest of the offsets, though.

Even though it is a pain in the ass, it may be more effective to have the Create Persistent effect start a chain of Create Persistents, that way it will be able to have the validator prevent further offsets from being cast.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Jun 6 2011, 10:32 am Ahli Post #5

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

I've solved my problem with a search effect in the persistent effect's effect set. That search effects searches for walls and makes the caster suicide. I've modified the persistent effect's validator to "caster is not dead", too.

note:
for my spells I always spawn a unit that stores my D1 combat information. that's why "suicide remove" works for me.




Jun 6 2011, 11:26 am NicholasBeige Post #6



Ahh never saw this post until now. Yeah you would need to use a search area within the persistent set. :) How are the other spells coming along? Can the Sorceress be play-tested yet?



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor, City