Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Attach model to unit?
Attach model to unit?
May 8 2011, 4:32 am
By: PIESOFTHENORTH  

May 8 2011, 4:32 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #1



I'm trying to make all Predators appear to be mounted by SCVs.

So I made a new actor with the SCV Model
Actor Type: Model
Based on: Model Animation Style Continuous
I made its hosting site operations "SOpAttachCenter"

I made an event for the actor...

UnitBirth.Predator
Create

But the SCV I'm trying to attach doesn't appear in game. How do I get this working?



None.

May 8 2011, 5:23 am DevliN Post #2

Woah

Did you check the article on GalaxyWiki? I think I added both the data and trigger methods of doing it.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

May 8 2011, 5:56 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #3



Still won't show up. I hadn't checked Play Forever before. That didn't seem to fix anything though.



None.

May 8 2011, 8:55 am DevliN Post #4

Woah

Try "Model Animation Style One Shot" instead of "Continuous."

And did you change "Hosting - Host +" to "_Selectable?"

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 8 2011, 9:00 am by DevliN.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

May 8 2011, 5:25 pm PIESOFTHENORTH Post #5



Can't find where to change either of those.



None.

May 8 2011, 5:47 pm DevliN Post #6

Woah

That's why I suggested using the GalaxyWiki article.

To change the model to "Model Animation Style One Shot," double click on the Actor in the Data Editor and change the "based on" part to "Model Animation Style One Shot."

Then find "Hosting - Host +" on the Actor and double-click the space next to it to open a new "Object Values" window. Under "Subject" click the button next to "Alias" and in the textbox, type in "_Selectable." Click "OK" to close the window.

It probably wont show up because it has no Selectable host.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

May 8 2011, 9:28 pm PIESOFTHENORTH Post #7



It worked. Thanks :P

But is it possible to change the attachment's X,Y,Z offset from its attached point?

Also whenever the predator attacks, it lunges forward a little, but the "rider" doesn't move forward with it. Any way to get that to happen?



None.

May 8 2011, 11:06 pm DevliN Post #8

Woah

You may be able to change the position via validators, but I haven't messed with that.

It should move with it if the attachment point moves, but otherwise I'm not sure how to get that to work.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

May 9 2011, 1:30 am NicholasBeige Post #9



In a similar vein... How about getting a model to be attached to a unit through an effect?

I have a launch missile which targets a building, and on impact, I want the missile to attach to the building and apply a behaviour. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this controlled through the unit (building in this case) and not from the ability / launch / effect side of things?



None.

May 9 2011, 2:04 am DevliN Post #10

Woah

You would have to attach the model in the events for the actor of the missile. Instead of UnitBirth // Create (or whatever), you would have it as Effect.NAMEOFTHEEFFECT.End // Create, or something similar.

I can go into detail when I open the editor later.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

May 12 2011, 3:25 am NicholasBeige Post #11



I managed to get it to work.

However the problem I Was facing was that my custom 'Wall' model didn't export with attachment points.

What I'm doing is causing a firebat to throw a grenade at a wall, which spawns a rotated and scaled hunter seeker missile facing north, east, south or west (depending on the wall, corner, straight etc) and the location of the firebat. The hunterseeker model will then display it's beam animation, flashing 3 times over 3 seconds, before becoming permanent.

Then, any unit which crosses the 'beam' will cause the claymore mine to explode xD

In theory it looks cool as hell and works perfectly. But I cannot seem to get the validation to work correctly (location of firebat, orientation of wall) - which will in turn calculate the facing of the claymore mine.

I think I may have to resort to triggers and 'replace' the targeted wall object with a new unit to handle the search area behaviours etc - since the walls are created randomly by a dungeon generation script and their hitpoints reflect their orientation.

Hope that makes sense :P



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor, City