Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Pathing question
Pathing question
Mar 17 2011, 6:24 pm
By: Riney  

Mar 17 2011, 6:24 pm Riney Post #1

Thigh high affectionado

So Ive been having this problem in my map where either the units I want to path around this object either go right through it (But I can shoot at them which is a plus), or they go around and nothing can be shot through the object.

How can I achieve the effect where units can shoot over the object, but units do not attempt to walk through it?



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 17 2011, 6:34 pm DevliN Post #2

Woah

Can you put a pathing blocker doodad under the object? I think units can shoot through objects even with the pathing blocker there.

Also unless the object is a tree or some thin structure, shooting through it may be odd.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Mar 17 2011, 6:35 pm Riney Post #3

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from DevliN
Can you put a pathing blocker doodad under the object? I think units can shoot through objects even with the pathing blocker there.

Also unless the object is a tree or some thin structure, shooting through it may be odd.

The object in question is a Chain Link fence



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 17 2011, 7:01 pm DevliN Post #4

Woah

Ah, alright. Yeah I had that issue with my Demonic map during beta. You can put the 1x1 path blockers under it and units can still shoot over it.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Mar 17 2011, 7:08 pm Riney Post #5

Thigh high affectionado

Fair enough



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 17 2011, 7:14 pm DevliN Post #6

Woah

I know that's not ideal, and extremely time consuming with a lot of fences, but it is a quick and dirty way to do it. The other option is perhaps checking the pathing of the doodad itself, and compare it to one you can shoot through (if there are any, its been a while since I've messed with that(.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Mar 17 2011, 8:49 pm Riney Post #7

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from DevliN
I know that's not ideal, and extremely time consuming with a lot of fences, but it is a quick and dirty way to do it. The other option is perhaps checking the pathing of the doodad itself, and compare it to one you can shoot through (if there are any, its been a while since I've messed with that(.

I honestly couldnt find one right away, but I might try looking again



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 18 2011, 9:56 am Ahli Post #8

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

How can you achieve something that units can't shoot over?

You can only add a footprint to it to block pathfinding through it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 18 2011, 10:02 am by Ahli.




Mar 18 2011, 4:45 pm Riney Post #9

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from Ahli
How can you achieve something that units can't shoot over?

You can only add a footprint to it to block pathfinding through it.

Giving the object a footprint will make units walk around until they can see beyond it.



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 18 2011, 4:52 pm DevliN Post #10

Woah

Quote from Ahli
You can only add a footprint to it to block pathfinding through it.
The chain fence doodad lets units walk through it, so the idea is to prevent that and still allow units to shoot "through" it.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Mar 18 2011, 5:01 pm Riney Post #11

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from DevliN
Quote from Ahli
You can only add a footprint to it to block pathfinding through it.
The chain fence doodad lets units walk through it, so the idea is to prevent that and still allow units to shoot "through" it.

I sorta changed it to a pathing footpring 3 x 1 and it worked nicely, but units couldnt shoot through it so yea.



.riney on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Sure I didn't pop off on SCBW like I wanted to, but I won VRChat. Map maker for life.

Mar 18 2011, 5:21 pm Ahli Post #12

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

How the hell do you achieve that units can't shoot? Or do you mean that they block vision (so that units can't look through them)?

AfaIk footprints can block pathing and line of sight, nothing more.

If there is something that prevents units from shooting through something, I need to know it.


edit:
oh I missed the one post :S




Jun 27 2011, 3:33 am Vortexx2010 Post #13



You likely have the flag on the unit "Block Vision" checked. With the flag unchecked, units can see through an object to shoot, even if they can't walk past it.

Edit: the flag is on the footprint itself under "Define Sets"

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2011, 4:14 am by Vortexx2010.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor, City