Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Textures
Textures
Mar 12 2011, 4:53 pm
By: StarBlue  

Mar 12 2011, 4:53 pm StarBlue Post #1



I think this is the forum that best suits this thread, but I'm not sure, so just move it if I'm wrong.

So, anyways, I'm working on a micro based game where you're a marine who gets seporated from his squad and has to battle a bunch of zerg to get back. I thought to myself, "Hmm... I think it would be cool to have a customized marine with a design on his visor." So here I am, asking how I can get hold of the texture for the terran marine. I was thinking about putting the Diablo on his visor. So, could anyone help me with this, please?



None.

Mar 12 2011, 4:59 pm Ahli Post #2

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

open mpq, find the marine texture, extract it, edit it, import the file with the same name and same path into your map.

I don't know if that works, but I guess that it works.




Mar 12 2011, 4:59 pm StarBlue Post #3



Worth a try, thanks.



None.

Mar 12 2011, 5:02 pm NicholasBeige Post #4



The problem is scale.



That is the marine texture...



And that is what marines look like in-game.

So unless you're setting up a completely custom camera system that will see a "Diablo" on his "visor" (which is a pretty awful explanation anyways), there is no point. gl hf

Edit: Yes, ahli is right. You'll need to get an mpq extractor editor, find the marine textures (there's about 6), copy each one, edit each one, import them into your map, duplicate the marine model, cause it to use these new textures, then create a new actor to use the new marine model, and link that to your unit.



None.

Mar 12 2011, 5:04 pm StarBlue Post #5



Thanks for the texture, and I meant the Diablo decal from the Collector's Edition decals that I see aften in-game.


EDIT: Ok, here is what I have so far.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Mar 12 2011, 5:34 pm by StarBlue.



None.

Mar 12 2011, 6:45 pm NicholasBeige Post #6



Ugh.. You're going to need to edit the normal and specular maps also.

You can't just paint it on and hope for the best. Get the mpq editor. Extract the maps. Get some dds file converter. Do it properly.



None.

Mar 12 2011, 7:42 pm DevliN Post #7

Woah

Not to mention you probably wont even be able to tell what is on the visor since it is so small.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Mar 19 2011, 12:04 am IskatuMesk Post #8

Lord of the Locker Room

Use emissive glow to make it stand out more. You can make the emissive player color or just a different color in general as well.



Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet